[comp.databases] International address format wanted

kfreytag@mdtf11.fnal.gov (Kelley Trombly-Freytag) (01/31/91)

I have a question on how to store international addresses in a database.

I'm designing a database that is, in part, keeping track of manufacturers
of various types of hardware and third-party software.  These manufacturers
can be based anywhere in the world, and therefore I need some idea of how to
generalize address fields to cope with the myriad ways of representing
addresses in a table.

The most general idea I've come up with is:

            Field Name        Type
            -------------------------
            address_1        char(40)
            address_2        char(40)
            address_3        char(40)
            address_4        char(40)
            country          char(30)

Does anyone have any ideas, experience, or pointers to references I
could use?

AtDhVaAnNkCsE
Kelley Trombly-Freytag                 Internet: kfreytag@mdtf11.fnal.gov
Fremilab, Batavia, IL

dgh@Unify.com (David Harrington) (02/01/91)

In article <857F*%@linac.fnal.gov>, kfreytag@mdtf11.fnal.gov (Kelley
Trombly-Freytag) writes:

> The most general idea I've come up with is:
>
>             Field Name        Type
>             address_1        char(40)
>             address_2        char(40)
>             address_3        char(40)
>             address_4        char(40)

Why not add:
              post_code        char(15)

--
David Harrington                                  internet: dgh@eire.unify.COM
Unify Corporation                          ...!{csusac,pyramid}!unify!eire!dgh