[net.unix-wizards] shell character substitution

joe@loonam.UUCP (Joseph R. Mann) (03/14/85)

Some inexpensive terminals don't support the pipe and telde,
specifically a Commodore Vic.  In my quest for making UNIX
available to the masses, one user of this system is having
great difficulty with those characters.

Does anyone know how to substitute a character
(control-a, for example) for the pipe character, to the shell?
Control-a is one of the unused function keys on the Vic.
Thanks in advance.   Joe.

mikeh@haddock.UUCP (03/18/85)

Hi,
	sh(1) has undocumented alternate pipe character, "^" (carrot,
	ascii 0136).  I think this dates back to the days when people
	used teletype 33's as ttys.  Still, lack of vertical bar will
	frustate C programming.
							Mike Hiller
							Intetactive Systems

rick@cadtec.UUCP (Rick Auricchio) (03/21/85)

Expires:
--------
[]
 In article <397@haddock.UUCP> mikeh@haddock.UUCP writes:
>	sh(1) has undocumented alternate pipe character, "^" (carrot,
>	ascii 0136).  I think this dates back to the days when people
>	used teletype 33's as ttys.  Still, lack of vertical bar will
>	frustate C programming.

The 33 *is* a tty, which is one reason people *used* them as ttys. :-)
Opinions expressed have been generated solely by line-noise.
Rick Auricchio        Cadtec Corp.    2355 Old Oakland Rd, San Jose CA   95131
{cbosgd,decwrl,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!cadtec!rick    N1150G   (408) 942-1535
	"This space available"

chas@ihuxe.UUCP (Charles Lambert) (03/21/85)

> Hi,
> 	sh(1) has undocumented alternate pipe character, "^" (carrot,
> 	ascii 0136).

A trivia point for you semanticists: that's "caret", not "carrot."

Charlie @ the Death Star, Illinois.