[comp.databases] BRS ???

GO.MSB@isumvs.iastate.edu (01/29/91)

Has anyone heard of BRS as a software company (they may only
be a mainframe DBMS supplier).  Any database related info on this
company would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Marvin Beck  Iowa State University

tbray@watsol.waterloo.edu (Tim Bray) (01/30/91)

GO.MSB@isumvs.iastate.edu (Marvin Beck) writes:
>Has anyone heard of BRS as a software company...

BRS is best-known as an on-line database vendor.  They offer dial-up access to
a large number of large databases, with full-text search.

They are also in the business of marketing their text search and retrieval
software.  I know for sure it runs on VM/CMS, pretty sure it runs on VAX/VMS
too, don't know about Unix.  I'd better not express any opinions about it
since I'm a direct competitor.

Cheers, Tim Bray, Open Text Systems

anubis@diku.dk (Steen Linden) (01/30/91)

tbray@watsol.waterloo.edu (Tim Bray) writes about BRS:

>They are also in the business of marketing their text search and retrieval
>software.  I know for sure it runs on VM/CMS, pretty sure it runs on VAX/VMS
>too, don't know about Unix.

It runs at least on SunOS Unix. However the ISO-8777 CCL interface
available on the mainframes is not available on Unix. (Something
important to the members of the EEC).

Besides the core system BRS/SEARCH on Unix contains the following
features:

THESAURUS - A thesaurus system.
MNS       - A language for making menu based user interfaces.
PTF       - A print time formatting language.
BRSIFACE  - A C language interface.
BRSCTRL   - An interface based on Unix pipes.

Steen Linden (anubis@diku.dk)    |   It's all absolutely devastatingly true -
The Computer Department		 |   except the bits that are lies.
DIKU, U. of Copenhagen		 |	Douglas Adams:
Denmark				 |	  The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

erdb04@castle.ed.ac.uk (D Neilson) (01/30/91)

In article <1991Jan29.190951.26008@watdragon.waterloo.edu> tbray@watsol.waterloo.edu (Tim Bray) writes:
>GO.MSB@isumvs.iastate.edu (Marvin Beck) writes:
>>Has anyone heard of BRS as a software company...

BRS = Bibliographical Retrieval Software - based in the USA with a
European office in London. Belongs to the Robert Maxwell publishing empire.

>They are also in the business of marketing their text search and retrieval
>software.  I know for sure it runs on VM/CMS, pretty sure it runs on VAX/VMS
>too, don't know about Unix.  I'd better not express any opinions about it
>since I'm a direct competitor.

BRS signed a contract with the body (CHEST) that looks after academic
site license arrangements. This is an initial 4 or 5 year deal, which
puts their software into lots of platforms for a fairly minimal charge.
We have it running on Sun, Sequent (under Dynix), VAX/VMS and IBM/PC.

david
|David Neilson                          Post: Edinburgh University  |
|D.Neilson@edinburgh.ac.uk                    Computing Service     |
|JANET:    D.Neilson@uk.ac.ed                 University Library    |
|BITNET:   D.Neilson%uk.ac.ed@UKACRL          George Square         |
|UUCP:     D.Neilson%ed.ac.uk@ukc.uucp        Edinburgh EH8 9LJ     |
|                                       Voice: 031 650 3315         |
|  ~oh dear, oh dear, oh dear, oh dear~  FAX:  031 662 4809         |

tim@brspyr1.BRS.Com (Tim Northrup) (02/02/91)

erdb04@castle.ed.ac.uk (D Neilson) writes:
>BRS = Bibliographical Retrieval Software - based in the USA with a
>European office in London. Belongs to the Robert Maxwell publishing empire.

Actually, it used to be "Bibliographic Retrieval SERVICES", but we no longer
use that -- its "BRS Software Products, a Division of Maxwell Online Inc."
Maxwell Online Inc. is indeed owned by Robert Maxwell (through some other
group of companies/corporations/whatever).

The BRS Full-Text Package comes in two flavors; a 'C' version (written
in the 'C' language), and a 'BAL' version (written in 360/370 assembler
language for MVS/CICS environments).  I am responsible for the 'C'
version, so I will limit my comments to that.

The 'C' Version is written in 99.99% 'C' language (the exception being
~100 lines of assembler to get 3270's to work somewhat reasonably under
VM/CMS).  This version is ported to over 40 different systems under
about a dozen different operating system, from an IBM PC running MS-DOS
to a Cray; if your system isn't a homebrew, we probably support it.  All
'C' version databases are portable across systems: if you create a
database under MS-DOS, you can transfer the files up to a Cray and
immediately search it.   (Transfer to/from VM/CMS which uses EBCDIC
requires a conversion with a utility we can provide).

BRS databases are not to be confused with a DBMS -- they deal with
data in a very different manner than a Full-Text system.  Ours is
closer to the IBM STAIRS offering (as well as BASIS, Topic and
Ful/Text -- our major competition at the moment).

For more (and probably better :-) information, you can contact a BRS
distributor in a country near you.  For Iowa, you could contact our
Midwest Regional Account Manager, Bob Greenwald, at (708) 297-8840.
He should be able to provide you with whatever information you need.
For information on other dealers, etc. you can call the central office
in McLean Virginia -- (703) 442-3870.

Hope this has been helpful ...
							-- Tim
--