[comp.databases] Needed: Literature on two-phase commit, distributed databases, etc.

barnett@grymoire.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) (01/30/91)

I am looking for literature describing distributed databases, and the
problems inherent in them.

My brother is working for a company who thinks building a distributed
database is simple. As he will have to maintain this product, he is
very concerned!

The developers (if you can call them that) want to hack together
something that has pieces of the database distributed across different
machines. They don't seem to understand concepts like two-phase
commit, and how to keep distributed databases from getting out of
sync. And if they do, how to recover. The answer is "Oh, I doubt that
would happen."

Therefore I am looking for some literature that describes all of the
problems a distributed database should watch out for. Or else a list
of features such a database should have, with an explanation WHY these
are needed.

Send me E-mail - to keep the noise level down. Thanks.
--
Bruce G. Barnett	barnett@crd.ge.com	uunet!crdgw1!barnett

mto@gte.com (Tamer Ozsu) (01/30/91)

In article <BARNETT.91Jan29143340@grymoire.crd.ge.com> barnett@crdgw1.ge.com writes:
>I am looking for literature describing distributed databases, and the
>problems inherent in them.
	[stuff deleted]
>Therefore I am looking for some literature that describes all of the
>problems a distributed database should watch out for. Or else a list
>of features such a database should have, with an explanation WHY these
>are needed.
>
>Send me E-mail - to keep the noise level down. Thanks.
>--
>Bruce G. Barnett	barnett@crd.ge.com	uunet!crdgw1!barnett

Instead of sending the poster email, I decided to post this here
because I think it might be of interest to a wider audience. Similar
questions, particularly related to distributed query processing were
asked a while ago, so there seems to be some interest.

We have recently published a book on distributed databases. The
reference is

	M.T. Ozsu and P. Valduriez. Principles of Distributed Database
	Systems. Prentice-Hall, 1991 (ISBN 0-13-691643-0).

We discuss all the issues that relate to distributed databases. This
includes issues that are related to the implementation of distributed
database managers as well as issues related to their use (data
fragmentation, allocation, etc).

I don't want to give the full table of contents since some may view
this as an advertisement on the net. However, if enough people show
interest in the contents, I can post it as well.

==Tamer

--
M. Tamer Ozsu				Telephone:	(617) 466-2098
GTE Laboratories			      Fax:	(617) 290-0628

doug@bear.cis.ohio-state.edu (Doug Kerr) (01/31/91)

In article <BARNETT.91Jan29143340@grymoire.crd.ge.com> barnett@crdgw1.ge.com writes:
>I am looking for literature describing distributed databases, and the
>problems inherent in them.

I can recommend two books:

Bernstein, Hadzilacos & Goodman, "Concurrency Control and Recovery in
Database Systems", Addison-Wesley, 1987, ISBN 0-201-10715-5.

	This book has sections on distributed database problems.

Ozsu & Valduriez, "Principles of Distributed Database Systems",
Prentice Hall, 1991, ISBN 0-13-691643-0.
--
 Douglas S. Kerr, Department of Computer and Information Science
 The Ohio State University; 2036 Neil Ave. Columbus OH USA 43210-1277

dafuller@sequent.UUCP (David Fuller) (02/02/91)

Readings in Database Systems, edited by Michael Stonebreaker  (Morgan-
Kaufmann) would be a good start.  If they really know nothing about
DBMS, An Introduction to Database Systems by CJ Date would be crucial.

In article <BARNETT.91Jan29143340@grymoire.crd.ge.com> barnett@crdgw1.ge.com writes:
>I am looking for literature describing distributed databases, and the
>problems inherent in them.
>
>My brother is working for a company who thinks building a distributed
>database is simple. As he will have to maintain this product, he is
>very concerned!
>
>The developers (if you can call them that) want to hack together
>something that has pieces of the database distributed across different
>machines. They don't seem to understand concepts like two-phase
>commit, and how to keep distributed databases from getting out of
>sync. And if they do, how to recover. The answer is "Oh, I doubt that
>would happen."
>
>Therefore I am looking for some literature that describes all of the
>problems a distributed database should watch out for. Or else a list
>of features such a database should have, with an explanation WHY these
>are needed.
>
>Send me E-mail - to keep the noise level down. Thanks.
>--
>Bruce G. Barnett	barnett@crd.ge.com	uunet!crdgw1!barnett

--
Dave Fuller
Sequent Computer Systems		  Think of this as the hyper-signature.