[comp.databases] Informix upgrades

ahl@technix.oz.au (Tony Landells) (01/31/91)

I'm currently using the .03 release of Informix, and at some stage
we'll probably upgrade to the 4.0 release.  Is there any sort of
upgrade guide available?  (You know... "The following are now
keywords, change all variables with these names to something else."
and so forth).

Thanks,
Tony.

john@Equi.com (John J. Ackley) (02/03/91)

In article <AHL.91Jan31095739@saussure.technix.oz.au> ahl@technix.oz.au (Tony Landells) writes:
>I'm currently using the .03 release of Informix, and at some stage
>we'll probably upgrade to the 4.0 release.  Is there any sort of
>upgrade guide available?  (You know... "The following are now
>keywords, change all variables with these names to something else."
>and so forth).
>
>Thanks,
>Tony.

We upgraded from .03 to 4.0 a few months ago.  The Turbo/On-Line
conversion was rather involved because our release of "tbcheck"
was broken.  But all the 4GL code simply need recompiled.
One keyword clash we encountered was "sitename": a column with
that name was automatically renamed to "name_site" when "dbreload"ed.

However, ESQL/C 4.0 has a new pre-processor with new directives
and two kinds of file inclusion.  This was a major annoyance, but
after the code was fixed, the preprocessor allows greater flexibility.

--
John Ackley <john@equi.com> // The usual disclaimer stuff