[comp.databases] Informix - how to drop log-file

clindh@abalon.se (Christer Lindh) (02/02/91)

Once a database has been created/started with a transaction log I
can't see any way to drop that transaction file again and run the DB
without transaction logging.  You can start the database with another
log-file but there is no "START DATABASE WITHOUT LOG" for example.

I found an entry in systables ('syslog') that keeps the name of the
log-file. What'll happen if I remove this row, will the DB run without
logging after that?  I haven't dared to try it out,,,
--
::         clindh@abalon.se          ::    o/          ::                ::
::   Abalon AB, Stockholm, Sweden    ::   /@           ::    BitBucket   ::

gls@trac2000.ueci.com (Gary Smith) (02/02/91)

In article <1991Feb1.193923.11298@abalon.se>, clindh@abalon.se (Christer Lindh) writes:
> Once a database has been created/started with a transaction log I
> can't see any way to drop that transaction file again and run the DB
> without transaction logging.  You can start the database with another
> log-file but there is no "START DATABASE WITHOUT LOG" for example.
>
> I found an entry in systables ('syslog') that keeps the name of the
> log-file. What'll happen if I remove this row, will the DB run without
> logging after that?  I haven't dared to try it out,,,

There is also an entry is the systables table where systables.tabtype = 'L'.
You should remove that entry also.  However, I could not understand why you
would want to stop the logging.  If there is a problem with disk space, then
when you archive the database for a backup, then just cat /dev/null to the
transaction log file to clear it out.

--
Gary L. Smith @ UE&C-Catalytic   |||  Reply at:
                                 |||      UUCP:  ..!uunet!trac2000!gls
Spock - ST IV: "What does it     |||  INTERNET:  gls@trac2000.ueci.com
 mean 'Exact change only' ?"     |||

aland@informix.com (Colonel Panic) (02/04/91)

In article <1991Feb1.193923.11298@abalon.se> clindh@abalon.se (Christer Lindh) writes:
>Once a database has been created/started with a transaction log I
>can't see any way to drop that transaction file again and run the DB
>without transaction logging.  You can start the database with another
>log-file but there is no "START DATABASE WITHOUT LOG" for example.
>
>I found an entry in systables ('syslog') that keeps the name of the
>log-file. What'll happen if I remove this row, will the DB run without

The oceans dry up, the ground shakes, and the Sun explodes.   [-:

>logging after that?  I haven't dared to try it out,,,

If you are using the SE engine, this is the only safe way to turn off
logging.  The creating DBA would do the following in SQL:

   delete from systables where tabname = "syslog";

Just be *sure* that you want to do this before you do it.  After
that row is deleted from systables and you have closed the database,
you can "rm" the log file.  As for integrity, however, you're on your
own.

For the OnLine engine, log mode can be changed between no logging,
buffered logging, and unbuffered logging.  Use the Databases option
of the Logical-Logs menu.  Note that to go from no logging to logging
(any variety), you can only do this immediately after performing an
archive in the same tbmonitor session.

--
Alan Denney  #  aland@informix.com  #  {pyramid|uunet}!infmx!aland

 "Now they'll have this "Chunnel" thing, parallel tunnels running
  between England and France.  Let's see.  The English drive on the
  left side, and the French drive on the right side.   Hmmmmm.
  That's going to be one *busy* lane!"               - John Mendoza