[comp.databases] Opinions on C-Tree and related products?

jtt@tct.uucp (John Tombs) (02/05/91)

In article <29809@usc> ajayshah@alhena.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) writes:

>Faircom does
>	C-Tree
>	C-Tree+
>	R-Tree
>	D-Tree
>	Faircom Server
>	Faircom SQL Server
>
>What do you think of these products?

We have based applications on c-tree and r-tree for 4 years; we froze our
versions some time back so my information may be out-of-date, but we
found c-tree to be stable, adequately fast (we had nothing to compare it with,
so I can't say more than that), and easy to build into
applications. r-tree had features built-in to support some pretty complex
reports, but a few obscure bugs sometimes turned development into a
trial-and-error nightmare. I think the basic software design was
very good; and they did provide source.

After working with Informix-SQL since then and reading this newsgroup, I
appreciate the complexity of SQL databases and understand why the perfect
one does not exist. I believe that Faircom have what it takes to build a
competitive product, but we have fought shy of their SQL product, partly
following received wisdom: "never buy version 1.0 of anything".
--
John Tombs at Teltronics/TCT             <jtt@tct.uucp>, <uunet!pdn!tct!jtt>

awd@dbase.A-T.COM (Alastair Dallas) (02/06/91)

In article <29809@usc>, ajayshah@alhena.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) writes:

> Faircom does
> 	C-Tree
>
> What do you think of these products?  I quite liked the product
> literature I read; do you know of a good product review in a mag?

This may be just useless noise, but I've been working with PC database
products for almost 8 years now, and I've never heard anything bad
about the C-Tree line.  I've never seen it nor known anyone who
used it, but I think I would've heard if it was junk and I can tell
you they've been around a long time.

Not as good as someone who actually knew something, but I hope
it helps nonetheless.

/alastair/

Disclaimer> My opinions, only (obviously no facts, certainly :-).