[comp.databases] need DOS db recommendation

roy@ics.uci.edu (John Roy) (01/08/91)

I'm looking for a good database system for DOS.  It needs to be
extendable and have some good printing and user interface stuff.  I've
heard of Paradox (sp) 3.5, Oracle, Sybase, and Informix are there any
others?

Thanks,
--
John M.A. Roy 714/856-5039			TRINTECH USA 714/757-7757
ICS Dept., Univ. Calif., Irvine CA 92714	18500 Von Karman, #410

callisto@blake.u.washington.edu (Finn) (01/08/91)

In article <2789386D.15595@ics.uci.edu> roy@ics.uci.edu (John Roy) writes:

>I'm looking for a good database system for DOS.  It needs to be
>extendable and have some good printing and user interface stuff.  I've
>heard of Paradox (sp) 3.5, Oracle, Sybase, and Informix are there any
>others?

At risk of starting a "mine is better than yers" flame fest,
I've had quite a bit of experience with Rbase, having used the last three
versions more or less full time.  The latest (3.1) seems to be fairly
easy to use, supports SQL, imports and exports data in all kinds of
formats, and best of all, in almost 2 years of developing code on the
same data set we rely on for real stuff (asking for it I know...)
I have yet to have the thing lose data. About the worst thing I can say
about the RBase people is that if it isn't in the manual, tech support
doesn't know about it.  Founatly the manuals are well written, extensivly
indexed, and quite comprehensive.

wlb@progress.COM (Warren Bare) (01/08/91)

roy@ics.uci.edu (John Roy) writes:
>I'm looking for a good database system for DOS.  It needs to be
>extendable and have some good printing and user interface stuff.  I've
>heard of Paradox (sp) 3.5, Oracle, Sybase, and Informix are there any
>others?

PROGRESS runs on DOS in as little as 640K (don't worry -- it will use
your e-mode if you have it).  The 4GL is also transparently
portable to OS2, Unix, Xenix, Ultrix, VMS, BTOS & CTOS (all together
just under 200 different platforms).

I may get flamed for this but here goes -- If I were you I would make
sure you look into the networking capabilities of the product.  Are
you sure this product will never grow beyond a DOS LAN server (i.e.
will you ever want a fast Unix or Xenix server tied into the LAN). The
above mentioned companies -- Oracle, Sybase, and Informix as well as
Progress -- can take care of this but the DOS only products can not.
This really is an issue if your DB will be bigger than aprox 8Mb on a
straight DOS OS because of the way DOS does its FAT.  -- Alright my
friends -- crank up those flame throwers.

For info on PROGRESS just call 1 800 FAST 4GL.  If you call before midnight
tonight you will also get a ginsu slicer (I think I should xfer to sales).
Opinions are my own - not those of Progress Software.
Warren L. Bare				UUCP: mit-eddie!progress!wlb
Progress Software Corp.			Internet: wlb@progress.com
5 Oak Park
Bedford, MA  01730

mdb@abcom.ATT.COM (3030 ) (01/15/91)

From article <1991Jan8.151533.17652@progress.com>, by wlb@progress.COM (Warren Bare):
> roy@ics.uci.edu (John Roy) writes:
>>I'm looking for a good database system for DOS.  It needs to be
>>extendable and have some good printing and user interface stuff.  I've
>>heard of Paradox (sp) 3.5, Oracle, Sybase, and Informix are there any
>>others?
>
> PROGRESS runs on DOS in as little as 640K (don't worry -- it will use
> your e-mode if you have it).  The 4GL is also transparently
> portable to OS2, Unix, Xenix, Ultrix, VMS, BTOS & CTOS (all together
> just under 200 different platforms).

Lets not forget the Xbase languages ( FOXBASE, CLIPPER, QUICKSILVER,
DBXL, or even Dbase IV ).  These database products are the standard
dbm's in the DOS world and most are crossing over to the other
platforms including *NIX.  If cost is a factor I think that you will find
that these products are resonably priced.

Paradox in my opinion is a great front end but a poor developement
environment.

These are just my opinions.

Mike Barnes
415-224-3030

pew@cs.brown.edu (Peter E. Wagner) (01/24/91)

|> Lets not forget the Xbase languages ( FOXBASE, CLIPPER, QUICKSILVER,
|> DBXL, or even Dbase IV ).  These database products are the standard
|> dbm's in the DOS world and most are crossing over to the other
|> platforms including *NIX.  If cost is a factor I think that you will find
|> that these products are resonably priced.

I highly recommend FoxPro from Fox Software, a member of the Xbase
family.

catone@scrolls.wharton.upenn.edu (Tony Catone) (02/04/91)

In article <2789386D.15595@ics.uci.edu> roy@ics.uci.edu (John Roy) writes:

>I'm looking for a good database system for DOS.  It needs to be
>extendable and have some good printing and user interface stuff.  I've
>heard of Paradox (sp) 3.5, Oracle, Sybase, and Informix are there any
>others?

I've been using Knowledgeman by Micro Database Systems (MDBS) since version
1.07 way back in 1984 and highly recommend it.  I've *never* seen it blow
away a data file, or use a corrupt index.  Has SQL, data dictionary, etc.
Latest version is 2.6, comes with C language interface, integrated spreadsheet
(nothing to write home about), editor (ditto), report writer (nice) and
graphics modules (nice).  Used to run on VMS as well as MSDOS, but that
information is many years old, check with them if you need current info.
Their programming language is very flexible and powerful, and their forms
screen control has been doing things for years that competitors are just
now getting to.  MDBS's number is 800-344-5832.  Standard disclaimer and
all that.

- Tony
  catone@desci.wharton.upenn.edu

wew@naucse.cse.nau.edu (Bill Wilson) (02/06/91)

From article <36840@netnews.upenn.edu>, by catone@scrolls.wharton.upenn.edu (Tony Catone):
> In article <2789386D.15595@ics.uci.edu> roy@ics.uci.edu (John Roy) writes:
>>
>>I'm looking for a good database system for DOS.  It needs to be
>>extendable and have some good printing and user interface stuff.  I've
>>heard of Paradox (sp) 3.5, Oracle, Sybase, and Informix are there any
>>others?

I would suggest dBASE IV ver. 1.1 or the new dBXL Arago release when it
comes out.  I was a beta tester for dBASE IV and am very impressed
with it.  It is nice an d stable.  There are loads of add-ons for
dBASE and compilers are available.

--
Let sleeping dragons lie........               | The RoleMancer
Bill Wilson             (Bitnet: ucc2wew@nauvm | wilson@nauvax)

wew@naucse.cse.nau.edu (Bill Wilson) (02/06/91)

Since I was called down for suggesting dBASE to someone.  They indicated
that I should not suggest a product like dBASE if I did not use
any other products.  I have extensively used Paradox, Rbase
(although not in the past year or two), and dBASE.  I have also
looked at Oracle and Enable.  I prefer dBASE IV over all of the
other packages I have worked with.  I am a professional programmer/
developer and have written programs for the US Govt. and a number
of state agencies.

This could turn into a religious war, which I would not like to see.
For those looking at database packages for DOS, you may want to
read Databased Advisor magazine and look at Info World.

--
Let sleeping dragons lie........                    | The RoleMancer
Bill Wilson (wew@naucse.cse.nau.edu | ucc2wew@nauvm | wilson@nauvax)