[comp.databases] definition wanted

looi@sutro.SFSU.EDU (W. W. Looi) (02/06/91)

Hi, can someone out there please explain to me what
the following mean?

	- loosely coupled system
	- tightly coupled system

Thanks.

--
#include <disclaimer.h>				% flame >& /dev/null

wlb@progress.COM (Warren Bare) (02/06/91)

looi@sutro.SFSU.EDU (W. W. Looi) writes:
>Hi, can someone out there please explain to me what
>the following mean?

>	- loosely coupled system
>	- tightly coupled system

Well, this really depends on the type of systems you are coupling.

Generally tightly coupled systems (whatever they are) know how to communicate
with each other very rapidly (i.e. through shared memory) and communicate a
large variety of information.  For instance, they may know each others state
(or have access to it) at all times.

Loosely coupled systems, on the other hand, know about each other and can
share information with each other but usually though some prespecified
communication medium (i.e. ethernet, disk file, pipes, etc ...).  They
send packets of info that are interpreted by the destination system and
acted upon.  As a result of this they share much less information.

You may actually think of tightly coupled systems as being good friends that
know all about each other, and loosely coupled systems as relatives that only
talk over the phone.

An example of tightly coupled parallel processing is a machine with many CPUs
communicating through shared memory (like a Sequent).  Loosely coupled
parallel processing can be done on a network of Sun workstations.

Thanks,
Warren
Opinions are my own - not those of Progress Software.
Warren L. Bare                         UUCP: mit-eddie!progress!wlb
Progress Software Corp.                Internet: wlb@progress.com
5 Oak Park                             FAX: 1 617 275 4595
Bedford, MA  01730

mpledger@cti1.UUCP (Mark Pledger) (02/07/91)

looi@sutro.SFSU.EDU (W. W. Looi) writes:

>Hi, can someone out there please explain to me what
>the following mean?

>	- loosely coupled system
>	- tightly coupled system

Loosely-coupled and tightly-coupled systems refer to the way in which the
computer (generally a parallel machine) system memory and/or cpu architectures
are designed.  A loosely-coupled system has local memory and/or cpu resources
as well as globally shared memory and/or cpu's.  Where as tightly-coupled
systems are isolated from every other memory and/or cpu in the system and
they therefore have to talk to each other through a messaging schema.  Because
the loosely-coupled systems can share memory and/or cpu's, message passing is
generally faster.  Of course there is the problem of "critical code" to
manage the shared memory and/or cpu's.

--
Sincerely,

Mark Pledger

CTI                              |              (703) 685-5434 [voice]
2121 Crystal Drive               |              (703) 685-7022 [fax]
Suite 103                        |
Arlington, VA  22202             |              mpledger@cti.com