[comp.databases] Zip-Code => City/State WANTED!

kevins@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Kevin Stanton) (02/01/91)

I am looking for a zip-code lookup table, i.e. Given a zip code, what is
the city and state.  Respond, and you will make a data entry person very
very happy.

Please respond via. e-mail.

Thanks in advance,
	Kevin Stanton

marcus@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Marcus Daniels) (02/01/91)

kevins@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Kevin Stanton) writes:

>I am looking for a zip-code lookup table, i.e. Given a zip code, what is
>the city and state.

Any databases for determining zipcode from city/state/address?   No
real need here, but just wondering if there are any easy pseudo-
automated ways for doing this?

marcus daniels
- marcus@eecs.ee.pdx.edu / ....!uunet!tektronix!psueea!eecs!marcus
- "The power of accurate observation is called cynicism by those who
	don't have it"

jfl0@isg.isg.com (Jeffrey F. Lawhorn) (02/05/91)

In article <1377@pdxgate.UUCP> marcus@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Marcus Daniels) writes:
   kevins@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Kevin Stanton) writes:
   >I am looking for a zip-code lookup table, i.e. Given a zip code, what is
   >the city and state.

   Any databases for determining zipcode from city/state/address?   No
   real need here, but just wondering if there are any easy pseudo-
   automated ways for doing this?

Yes, the U.S. Postal Service can provide the data to do this
with.  They do not (to the best of my knowlege) provide any
software to do the lookups though.  However, ISG does provide
Informix based solutions to do both of the above.  If you need
any additional information you can contact me at one of the
addresses below.
--
Jeffrey F. Lawhorn             Information Systems Group
Programming Manager            Unix, C, and Database Consulting

boyter@bimbo.uucp (Maj Brian Boyter) (02/06/91)

jfl0@isg.isg.com (Jeffrey F. Lawhorn) writes:

>In article <1377@pdxgate.UUCP> marcus@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Marcus Daniels) writes:
>   kevins@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Kevin Stanton) writes:
>   >I am looking for a zip-code lookup table, i.e. Given a zip code, what is
>   >the city and state.

>   Any databases for determining zipcode from city/state/address?   No
>   real need here, but just wondering if there are any easy pseudo-
>   automated ways for doing this?

>Yes, the U.S. Postal Service can provide the data to do this
>with.  They do not (to the best of my knowlege) provide any
>software to do the lookups though.  However, ISG does provide
>Informix based solutions to do both of the above.  If you need
>any additional information you can contact me at one of the
>addresses below.

I just posted a zipcode-looker-upper to alt.sources...
The posting is in 9 parts and is mostly a file of zipcodes...

Brian
boyter@fstc-chville.army.mil

   Maj. Brian A Boyter
   US Army Foreign Science & Technology Center
   Charlottesville, Va 22901                         __
   off: (804)980-7362                              (    )
   home:     973-9440                             {      }
                                                   (    )
   boyter@fstc-chville.army.mil                      ||
   Just say glow......                       _______<  >_______

emv@ox.com (Ed Vielmetti) (02/08/91)

In article <SWANSONC.91Feb6155355@grendel3.acc.stolaf.edu> swansonc@acc.stolaf.edu (Chris Swanson, St. Olaf College) writes:

   If you have access to the Internet, there is a site that has a
   Geographical database that will do what you want.  You might be able
   to get the data from them.  I am not sure of the address, but it is
   listed in the "Internet Resources Guide" available via ftp from
   nic.nsf.net and a few other places.

martini.eecs.umich.edu, port 3000.  here's the help screen.

--Ed
emv@ox.com

# Geographic Name Server, Copyright 1989, 1990 Merit Inc.  All rights reserved.
# >>> NEW VERSION!!! <<< Use "help" or "?" for details.
.
help
# New version: Wed Mar 14 10:33:50 EST 1990
#
# Change summary:
# 1) ZIP code queries now supported
# 2) ed(1)-style regular expression queries now supported
# 3) Query and session timeouts now enabled
# 4) Better query parsing, error messages
# 5) Response lines now terminated with CRLF instead of just LF
#
# NOTE: This server is intended for use with clients which interpret
# the raw protocol.  However, you may also use the server directly
# if you don't have the clients.  There are currently four clients:
# 1) A user agent which pretty-prints the raw protocol and optionally
#    computes distance and azimuth between any two cities,
# 2) A filter for producing input files for Brian Reid's netmap program,
# 3) A US map browser which uses the X Window System,
# 3) A prototype X-based network browsing tool.
#
# Data came primarily from the US Geodetic Survey and the US Postal Service.
# Coverage includes all US cities, counties, and states,
# as well as some US mountains, rivers, lakes, national parks, etc.
# A few international cities have also been included.
# Unfortunately, some minor inaccuracies remain.  Merit Inc. is not responsible
# for maintaining this data.
#
# Queries should generally look like the last line of a postal
# address, as in "Ann Arbor, MI 48103".
#
# All these queries will also work:
# 1) ed(1)-style regular expression, like "[Bb]os.*n$"
# 2) A city name alone, like "Ann Arbor"
# 3) A ZIP or ZIP+4 code alone, like this: "46556", "48103-2112"
#    NOTE: only the first 5 digits in a ZIP+4 code are used.
# 4) As in 1) or 2) but with a state name or abbreviation, like
#    this: "Ann Arbor, MI", "Los Angeles, California"
# 5) As above but with optional nation name or abbreviation, like
#    "Toronto, , Canada".  NOTE:  there are currently very few
#    foreign cities.
#
# Punctuation, white space, and upper/lower case are ignored.
# Any reasonable state/nation abbreviations are recognized.
#
# Here are more example queries:
#
# "Ann Arbor, Mich" "48103" "annarbor,mi" "Paris,,France"
# "Mammoth Cave National Park" "mount mckinley" "lake michigan"
#
# If a query fails, try expanding abbreviations (e.g. change "Mt."
# to "Mount", etc.
#
# Interpret server replies as follows:
#
# 0 <city name>
# 1 <county FIPS code> <county name>
# 2 <state/province abbreviation> <state/province name>
# 3 <nation abbreviation> <nation name>
# A <telephone area code>
# E <elevation in feet above mean sea level>
# F <feature code> <feature name>
# L <latitude DD MM SS X> <longitude DDD MM SS X>
# P <1980 census population>
# R <remark>
# T <time zone>
# Z <postal ("ZIP") code>
#
# To exit the server, enter "stop", "end", "quit", "bye",
# "exit", "logout", "logoff", or control-D.
#
# Direct questions or comments to Tom Libert, libert@eecs.umich.edu,
# or phone (313) 936-3000.  Please let me know if you write new clients.
.