[comp.databases] Requests for improvements to SYBASE

tim@ohday.sybase.com (Tim Wood) (01/24/91)

In article <116@jetson.UUCP>, danq@jetson.UUCP (Daniel Quinlan) writes:

>  Well, since someone else started the complaining, I have the same
>  problem, and a few other complaints.  Unfortunately, I have no solutions.
>  Here are my complaints, however.  Is there anyone from Sybase around?

Yes, I'll take a crack at some.  I am the lead development engineer for
the rearchitecture of the DUMP/LOAD facility in our upcoming Release 5.0.
I'll attempt a response, with the observation that more effective
help can be obtained from our Customer Support department than from the
net, even from a Sybase respondent.  Please excuse the delay, our mail/news
server has been undergoing a painful upgrade, but is now ambulatory.

>  Backups
>  -------
>
>  Backups are particularly difficult to perform; we use  8  mm
>  tapes, as does most of the Unix community at this point. For
>  some difficult to fathom reason, Sybase requires  that  dump
>  devices  be  declared within the database, and designates an
>  8mm tape as a disk.  For a presumably related reason, Sybase
>  is  unable  to  dump  to multiple 8mm tapes. This limits the
>  size of our database, and is such a serious deficiency  that
>  it could in the future cause us to move to a different data-
>  base system.

We plan to offer full support for multi-file multi-volume dumps to
tape devices as such in Release 5.0.  All dump devices will be seen as
removable-volume devices and treated uniformly.  In addition to proper
device support, this will allow, for example, dumps to disk to be
image-copied to tape once they're done, then reloaded from the tape at
LOAD time.  The DUMP and LOAD syntaxes will be extended to allow either
Sybase logical device or physical device names to be specified.
Reaching the "end", or filling up, a fixed disk will allow the user to
copy the disk to another disk or tape with the operating system, then
resume dumping to the same disk.  The requirement to list dump devices
in the database may be dropped.

>  Sybase positively requires a local tape to dump to,  and  is
>  unable  to  dump  to a pipe or across the network.  Networks
>  are a reality today; having a local tape drive on a  machine
>  dedicated  to  a Sybase database is a waste of resources, as
>  well as a tremendous inconvenience.

We plan to support dumping/loading over the network to/from a DBLIB
program in Release 5.0.  (The DBLIB program would control the physical
device.)  Note that a network dump drastically limits I/O throughput,
because packet size is limited and the channel is serial.  The ideal
arrangement for sharing is to have the tape device connected to several
machines via a switchbox, if available.

>  During backups, there is no feedback about the  progress  of
>  the  backup, eg. how much has been dumped, how much remains,
>  and how long the process will take.

In Release 5.0, the dump/load facility will periodically return messages
to the user with just this information.

>  Backup  tapes  are  not
>  labeled,  so there is no way to discover what is on a backup
>  tape without reloading it.

The user can physically label the dump media with the server name,
database name, date/time, etc. Since the unit of recovery is currently
the database, additional labeling is not necessarily meaningful.
We may store the database name and whether the archive is a database
or transaction log in non-reserved string fields of the ANSI header labels.
The date fields in those labels allow time sequencing.

>  A backup tape cannot be reloaded into  a  smaller  partition
>  than  it  was in originally, even if the actual data is con-
>  siderably smaller than the new partition size.

A utility (not part of DUMP) called "movedb", that supports this
operation among others, is in QA now.  It operates on on-line databases,
not on backup volumes.  Call your sales or support rep for availability dates.

>  There is no single command to completely backup a  database;
>  that  is,  since  an  actual sybase installation consists of
>  several "databases", including "master",  "model",  and  the
>  actual  application  database(s), you might expect you would
>  be able to back up all of them with a single command.   This
>  is not the case.

I believe you may be confused about the distinction between a
Sybase "database" vs. the disks that the database uses.  A server manages
several databases which may share disks, but since databases don't
share objects, dump and load operate on the unit of a database, because
that is currently the smallest unit of recovery.  We see it as at most
a minor inconvenience to run a handful of commands rather than one; also
dumping databases independently allows scheduling based on usage patterns.

The "movedb" utility allows copy-out of all the databases on
a server.

>  Multiple database dumps to a single 8mm tape  are  not  sup-
>  ported.  Since "master", for instance, is a very small data-
>  base, it would be operationally convenient  (for  unattended
>  overnight backups) to put multiple backups on a single tape.
>  Similarly, it might be convenient to dump the log, then  the
>  database to a single tape.

We plan to support multi-database/multi-volume dumps in 5.0.

>  Recovery from problems
>  -------- ---- --------
>
>  Once Sybase decides a database or a log is corrupt, there is
>  no  recovery  other  than to reload the entire database from
>  backup tapes.  In one particularly painful instance,  Sybase
>  was  restarted,  found  it could not open the log (due to an
>  error in an upgrade procedure), and marked the entire  data-
>  base  "suspect".   Although  the log was available in uncor-
>  rupted form, and the database was  also  not  corrupted  (at
>  least  before  Sybase  marked  it  "suspect"),  there was no
>  option other than to reload the entire database.  For an  80
>  Mbyte database, this operation took 4-5 hours!

Recourse exists for such problems.  We have special recovery mechanisms
intended for use under supervision of our Customer Support dept.
You should call them for information on accessing them.
We plan to make major improvements in DUMP/LOAD performance in Release 5.0.

>  Large applications due to LARGE STATIC libraries
>  ----- ------------ --- -- ----- ------ ---------
>
>  Because Sybase distributes their libraries in static  rather
>  than dynamic form, applications developed using their inter-
>  face libraries are rarely smaller than 1 Mbyte.  This  is  a
>  tremendous  waste  of  disk  space, as well as a performance
>  issue on machines with multiple copies  of  sybase  applica-
>  tions and limited memory.

I will note this as a feature request.  You can also submit such requests
to your Customer Support representative, again with greater reliability
than submitting to the net.

>  Other Problems
>  ----- --------
>
>  Why is there no terminal interface for a Sun window?  Eg, it
>  is  impossible  to  run a Sybase application compiled for an
>  ascii terminal inside  a  Sun  Window.   ...
>  [ conspiracy theory deleted :-]

This is an existing feature request.  I remember submitting it myself!

Though I've been referring here to Release 5.0 as the target for backup
enhancements, we are evaluating whether to put some of them, such as
performance improvement and 8MM support, into a maintenance release
before 5.0.

HTH,
-TW

Sybase, Inc. / 6475 Christie Ave. / Emeryville, CA / 94608	  415-596-3500
WORK:tim@sybase.com     {pacbell,pyramid,sun,{uunet,ucbvax}!mtxinu}!sybase!tim
PLAY:axolotl!tim@toad.com		       {sun,uunet}!hoptoad!axolotl!tim
Dis claim er dat claim, what's da difference?  I'm da one doin da talkin' hea.

In article <12261@sybase.sybase.com> tim@ohday.sybase.com (Tim Wood) writes:

>In article <116@jetson.UUCP>, danq@jetson.UUCP (Daniel Quinlan) writes:
>>  Backup  tapes  are  not
>>  labeled,  so there is no way to discover what is on a backup
>>  tape without reloading it.
>
>The user can physically label the dump media with the server name,
>database name, date/time, etc. ...
>We may store the database name and whether the archive is a database
>or transaction log in non-reserved string fields of the ANSI header labels.
>The date fields in those labels allow time sequencing.

Late update: it's looking like we will write a label block with interesting
information at the front of each dump file.

rpburry@ncs.dnd.ca (Paul Burry) (01/25/91)

In article <12261@sybase.sybase.com> tim@ohday.sybase.com (Tim Wood) writes:

|In article <116@jetson.UUCP>, danq@jetson.UUCP (Daniel Quinlan) writes:
|
|>  Well, since someone else started the complaining, I have the same
|>  problem, and a few other complaints.  Unfortunately, I have no solutions.
|>  Here are my complaints, however.  Is there anyone from Sybase around?
|
|Yes, I'll take a crack at some.  I am the lead development engineer for
|the rearchitecture of the DUMP/LOAD facility in our upcoming Release 5.0.
|I'll attempt a response, with the observation that more effective
|help can be obtained from our Customer Support department than from the
|net, even from a Sybase respondent.  Please excuse the delay, our mail/news
|server has been undergoing a painful upgrade, but is now ambulatory.
|

|>  Backups
|>  -------
|>
|>  Backups are particularly difficult to perform; we use  8  mm
|>  tapes, as does most of the Unix community at this point. For
|>  some difficult to fathom reason, Sybase requires  that  dump
|>  devices  be  declared within the database, and designates an
|>  8mm tape as a disk.  For a presumably related reason, Sybase
|>  is  unable  to  dump  to multiple 8mm tapes. This limits the
|>  size of our database, and is such a serious deficiency  that
|>  it could in the future cause us to move to a different data-
|>  base system.

While on the subject of backups and 8mm tape drives, can you either
now or in the future (version 5?) direct SYBASE to perform a backup
and use multiple tape drives in parallel?  While 8mm is attractive
because of the obvious capacity of the tapes, backing up a large
multi-gigabyte database would take many hours at ~250 kb/s.  I would
gladly pay for the extra 8mm drives if they could be used in parallel.

How do others back up their large SYBASE databases?  What types of devices
do they use?

Paul Burry
Voice: (613)-991-7325		Internet: rpburry@ncs.dnd.ca
Fax:   (613)-991-7323		UUCP:	  ..!{uunet,cunews}!ncs.dnd.ca!rpburry

tim@ohday.sybase.com (Tim Wood) (02/11/91)

In article <1991Jan25.012332.13363@ncs.dnd.ca> rpburry@ncs.dnd.ca (Paul Burry) writes:

>While on the subject of backups and 8mm tape drives, can you either
>now or in the future (version 5?) direct SYBASE to perform a backup
>and use multiple tape drives in parallel?  ...
>I would gladly pay for the extra 8mm drives if they could be used in parallel.

We plan to support the feature you describe, called dump striping, in
Release 5.0.