[comp.databases] Oracle access via tcp/ip

draxler@utopia.ifi.unizh.ch (02/04/91)

My name is Christoph Draxler, and I am currently working in the field of
logic and databases here at the computer science department at the univer-
sity of Zurich.

In my doctoral thesis I propose a new approach to coupling Prolog-like logic
languages with relational (or other) database systems. This approach uses
database set predicates, which are an extension of the traditional set
predicates as they are known in Prolog et al.

For the implementation I plan to use Quintus Prolog and Oracle because we
have both systems installed. I know that there exists a database interface
for Quintus Prolog to Oracle, but I don't want to use it because it is too
restricted for my purposes...

Both Oracle and Quintus Prolog offer a tcp/ip interface. In fact, the
oracle tools such as ProSQL etc. use the tcp/ip connection to the main
Oracle system. In the tcp/ip manual for Oracle it is said that tcp/ip
may be used by application programs wishing to access the database - but
it does not say HOW to do this, WHAT format any access request must have, etc.

So, here's the question:

    Is there anybody out there who has set up a system consisting of
    an application program that accesses the Oracle database system
    via tcp/ip?

What is the general architecture of that system? What is the format of
database access in Oracle? What were your experiences? What documentation
did you use? Did Oracle Corp. help you in any way?

ANY information on the above subject is welcome. You can reach me via

e-mail: draxler@ifi.unizh.ch

or regular mail:

Christoph Draxler
Inst. fuer Informatik
Universitaet Zuerich
Winterthurer Str. 190

CH 8057 Zuerich

Tel: ++41 / +1/ 257 4335 (or -4311 for the secretariat of the institute)

Thank you very much in advance,

Christoph

lwk@caen.engin.umich.edu (Woody Kellum) (02/11/91)

In article <1991Feb4.112734.452@ifi.unizh.ch> draxler@utopia.ifi.unizh.ch writes:

>So, here's the question:
>
>    Is there anybody out there who has set up a system consisting of
>    an application program that accesses the Oracle database system
>    via tcp/ip?
>
>What is the general architecture of that system? What is the format of
>database access in Oracle? What were your experiences? What documentation
>did you use? Did Oracle Corp. help you in any way?
>
>ANY information on the above subject is welcome. You can reach me via
>
>e-mail: draxler@ifi.unizh.ch
>
>or regular mail:
>
>Christoph Draxler
>Inst. fuer Informatik
>Universitaet Zuerich
>Winterthurer Str. 190
>
>CH 8057 Zuerich
>
>Tel: ++41 / +1/ 257 4335 (or -4311 for the secretariat of the institute)
>

>Thank you very much in advance,
>
>Christoph

We run Oracle in a client/server environment that uses tcp/ip exclusively.
The Oracle libraries handle the network connection, so all you do is link
your application to them, and pass them the two_task data at runtime.
Oracle creates a shadow process on the server that listens to your
application and passes data to/from the database.
   - Woody
--
I want a GOOD reason with some moral backbone
why Americans are dying in the Mid East.

Woody Kellum   Internet:  lwk@caen.engin.umich.edu