[comp.databases] ACCELL Application via Dial-Up

tkevans@fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) (02/08/91)

We have a need for dial-up access to an ACCELL/Unify database application.
Specifically, PC-DOS users with Pro-Comm will be dialing into a Xenix
box running the application.  How will terminal emulation be in such an
environment?  What terminal-emulation support does ACCELL/Unify provide
that would be appropriate to this sort of low-speed (1200/2400 bps)
dial in?  Will Unify's version of 'termcap' support this sort of access,
or will modifications be required?  If the latter, does anyone have
patches?

Thanks
--
UUCP:		{rutgers|ames|uunet}!mimsy!woodb!fallst!tkevans
INTERNET:	tkevans%fallst@wb3ffv.ampr.org

meh@ufycorp.Unify.Com (Mark Hansen) (02/11/91)

In article <1916@fallst.UUCP> tkevans@fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) writes:
>We have a need for dial-up access to an ACCELL/Unify database application.
>Specifically, PC-DOS users with Pro-Comm will be dialing into a Xenix
>box running the application.  How will terminal emulation be in such an
>environment?  What terminal-emulation support does ACCELL/Unify provide
>that would be appropriate to this sort of low-speed (1200/2400 bps)
>dial in?  Will Unify's version of 'termcap' support this sort of access,
>or will modifications be required?  If the latter, does anyone have
>patches?

  The only  modification that you might have to make would be the setting
of ndelaypad in the unicap file. This is the 'time out' value for getting
successive keyboard reads to determine if the  key sequence is a function
key, or just characters being typed by the operator.

  Unify does have a product called  Accell/CP that would make this inter-
face much better.  This is our cooperative processing product that allows
you to  off-load the presentation layer of the application to the DOS PC.
In most cases,  it will cause the application to run much faster, because
it allows the  PC  to control the screen  I/O, while the host is handling
all the database access. This, of course, include all the terminal emula-
tion you will need.

  You can get more information by calling Unify at 1-800-328-0073.
They will be able to answer all your questions.

>Thanks
>--
>UUCP:		{rutgers|ames|uunet}!mimsy!woodb!fallst!tkevans
>INTERNET:	tkevans%fallst@wb3ffv.ampr.org
>Tim Evans	2201 Brookhaven Ct, Fallston, MD 21047

Mark E. Hansen                                     internet: meh@Unify.Com
Manager, Client Support Services            ...!{csusac,pyramid}!unify!meh
Unify Corporation                                    voice: (916) 922-1177
3870 Rosin Court, Sacramento, CA 95834                 fax: (916) 920-5306

sk@Unify.Com (Sandeep Kundra) (02/12/91)

In article <1916@fallst.UUCP> tkevans@fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) writes:
>We have a need for dial-up access to an ACCELL/Unify database application.
>Specifically, PC-DOS users with Pro-Comm will be dialing into a Xenix
>box running the application.  How will terminal emulation be in such an
>environment?  What terminal-emulation support does ACCELL/Unify provide
>that would be appropriate to this sort of low-speed (1200/2400 bps)
>dial in?  Will Unify's version of 'termcap' support this sort of access,
>or will modifications be required?  If the latter, does anyone have
>patches?
>
>Thanks
>--
>UUCP:		{rutgers|ames|uunet}!mimsy!woodb!fallst!tkevans
>INTERNET:	tkevans%fallst@wb3ffv.ampr.org
>Tim Evans	2201 Brookhaven Ct, Fallston, MD 21047

I suggest that you use the 'ansi' terminal emualation.  If you are using
an older version of Pro-Comm, the 'ansibbs' version works ok.  You will
probably have to adjust the unicap file to accomodate the different function
key sequences which may be returned.  If you are using a new(er) version of
Pro-Comm, you should be able to use the wyse50 emulation, with possibly needing
again to adjust the function key sequences in the unicap.  Since you are
running at a low baud rate, you should also increase the 'ndelaypad' parameter
in the unicap to allow for more time for the function keys.

If you need more information, please post or send email.

Regards,

--
Sandeep Kundra, Unify Corporation, Sacramento, CA.
#include <standard.disclaimer>  |  This opinion .....               |

itkin@mrspoc.Transact.COM (Steven M. List) (02/12/91)

tkevans@fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) writes:

>We have a need for dial-up access to an ACCELL/Unify database application.
>Specifically, PC-DOS users with Pro-Comm will be dialing into a Xenix
>box running the application.  How will terminal emulation be in such an
>environment?  What terminal-emulation support does ACCELL/Unify provide
>that would be appropriate to this sort of low-speed (1200/2400 bps)
>dial in?  Will Unify's version of 'termcap' support this sort of access,
>or will modifications be required?  If the latter, does anyone have
>patches?

Sadly, my experience has been that it's the quality of the terminal
emulation, not the TERMCAP entry.  I've used a number of terminal emulators,
and they tend to run into problems with forms that extend to window boundaries.
Particularly horizontally.  With emulators that do not handle it properly,
the lines get moved to slightly differently locations and the appearance
of the screen gets mucked up.  If you're lucky, the screen will still be
usable, but barely.  CHECK THE EMULATION EARLY!  Make sure the basic
VT100 (which is adequate, if not good, for most users) handles the graphics
properly.  If ProComm has VT220 (or something else with non-embedded video
attributes - unlike WYSE 50 - and more than 4 function keys - unlike VT100)
then that would be a good choice.  I've used ProComm in the past and their
emulations are quite good.  I've also used Term, WinQVT, DynaComm, Windows
Terminal, and a few others.  Most work well, but when they don't, they DON'T!
And I've never had to change the basic Termcap entry to support them.
 :                Steven List @ Transact Software, Inc. :^>~                  :
 :           Chairman, Unify User Group of Northern California                :
 :     {apple,coherent,limbo,mips,pyramid,ubvax}!itkin@guinan.Transact.COM    :

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR) (02/13/91)

As quoted from <1916@fallst.UUCP> by tkevans@fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans):
+---------------
| We have a need for dial-up access to an ACCELL/Unify database application.
| Specifically, PC-DOS users with Pro-Comm will be dialing into a Xenix
| box running the application.  How will terminal emulation be in such an
| environment?  What terminal-emulation support does ACCELL/Unify provide
| that would be appropriate to this sort of low-speed (1200/2400 bps)
| dial in?  Will Unify's version of 'termcap' support this sort of access,
| or will modifications be required?  If the latter, does anyone have
| patches?
+---------------

You won't have many problems with Accell doing this, except in defining a
unicap entry (and the fact that Accell, like most full-screen applications, is
SLOOOOOOW at 1200 baud!).  The REAL problem will be getting a PC comm program
that is intelligent enough to pull this off.

Many comm programs, including ProComm, emulate VT102 terminals.  Unfortunately,
they do so even down to the function keys --- and four function keys aren't
enough for Accell.

If your program allows you to redefine the function keys, I suggest doing so.
Map the unshifted and shifted versions of the ten or twelve function keys.  To
retain compatibility with other programs, I suggest leaving F1 through F4 as
they are and continuing the series with F5 = <ESC>[T, etc., switching to lower
case after reaching <ESC>[Z.  (It might be <ESC>Ox if you run with "application
keypad mode".  I consider that particular botch horrid and avoid it.)  Then
alter the unicap for vt102 to add those function keys.  (Don't bother with the
termcap; Accell doesn't pay attention to the function key definitions there.)

++Brandon
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			    VHF/UHF: KB8JRR on 220, 2m, 440
Internet: allbery@NCoast.ORG		    Packet: KB8JRR @ WA8BXN