[comp.databases] Opinions Wanted re: Database Pkgs

timk@wynnds.xenitec.on.ca (Tim Kuehn) (02/08/91)

I'm working on a project now where the client, who is presently
using an Mainframe, is moving applications off the mainframe
to PC's, with an eye towards moving into Unix in the time to
come. What I'm looking for from the net.public is opinions or
experiences in endevours such as this.

Also, we'd like to know what platforms the following pkgs will
work on. I've added the OSs I know they work on, if there are any
other platforms please followup. Comments would be welcome too.

	Foxbase/+ 	Dos, SCO Unix/Xenix
	dBase/IV	Dos, (Unix?)

We're also looking at moving towards a SQL pkg in the future too. Some
pkgs we're aware of include: Informix, Progress, Oracle

For these last three products we'd like to know what, if any gotcha's
there may be in going from a dos to Unix environment, and any performance
issues that may be of concern.

Thanks for your time and comments! Any email will be followed up in
a summary to the net when appropriate.

   Tim Kuehn			    TDK Consulting Services  (519)-888-0766
   timk@wynnds.xenitec.on.ca  -or-  !{watmath|lsuc}!xenitec!wynnds!timk
   Valpo EE turned loose on unsuspecting world! News at 11!

keithm@dbase.A-T.COM (Keith Mund) (02/12/91)

In article <1991Feb7.223244.253@wynnds.xenitec.on.ca> timk@wynnds.xenitec.on.ca (Tim Kuehn) writes:

>I'm working on a project now where the client, who is presently
>using an Mainframe, is moving applications off the mainframe
>to PC's, with an eye towards moving into Unix in the time to
>come. What I'm looking for from the net.public is opinions or
>experiences in endevours such as this.

dBASE IV is currently shipping on DOS, VMS, and UNIX. A MAC version named
RUNTIME+ has been announced as in the making. All these versions use the
same datafiles, the same object files (similar to PASCAL PCODE), and allow
networking. The same files can be accessed by networked PCs, VMS and UNIX
files (MAC when available) at the same time.

Keith Mund

--
Keith Mund

keithm@dbase.A-T.COM (Keith Mund) (02/12/91)

I forgot to mention, dBASE IV on all platforms supports SQL and QBE.

Keith Mund

--
Keith Mund

awd@dbase.A-T.COM (Alastair Dallas) (02/13/91)

In article <1991Feb7.223244.253@wynnds.xenitec.on.ca>, timk@wynnds.xenitec.on.ca (Tim Kuehn) writes:
> Also, we'd like to know what platforms the following pkgs will
> work on. I've added the OSs I know they work on, if there are any
> other platforms please followup. Comments would be welcome too.
>
> 	Foxbase/+ 	Dos, SCO Unix/Xenix
> 	dBase/IV	Dos, (Unix?)

dBASE IV v1.1 is available for DOS, VMS and Sun Unix and versions have been
announced (Mac was demoed at Comdex) for the Macintosh and SCO Unix.  It
is Ashton-Tate's stated strategy to support the dBASE product line fully
on a wide variety of platforms such that an application development
investment today on DOS dBASE IV does not require new investment in a
few years when different operating systems and hardware comes along.

/alastair/

Disclaimer> This blatant commercial message was brought to you by me.
Ashton-Tate disavows all knowledge of my actions including the very
typing of this disclaimer.

de@helios.ucsc.edu (De Clarke) (02/13/91)

I am new to all these threads, but bear with me if this repeats
previous chatter:  we (our unit and the campus as a whole) are
seriously considering unix database packages from the "Big Four"

	Sybase	Ingres	Oracle	Informix

and we are very interested to hear other people's love and hate
stories about any of the following facets of any of the four:

Product:  efficiency, speed, installation, maintenance, documentation,
	  	  ease of use, software tools
Vendor:   efficiency, speed, responsiveness, honesty, development
		  effort, general customer relations

This decision could set direction for the next decade so we
definitely do not want to climb in bed with the "wrong" vendor.
You could mail directly to me if the rest of the readers are
bored silly with this already.  Otherwise I will check in here
once a week (that's all my local nntpserver can handle).

--de

PS  my particular slice of the pie is a port of a medium-sized (70MB
    of data files and 50K lines of application) double-entry accounting
    system from DEC DTR32 under VMS to XXXXX where XXXXX is whatever we
    all decide on.  Has anyone out there ported a DTR application to
    a unix SQL type database?  Did you survive the experience or are you
    now washing windows in Kennebunk? ;->  I'd like to hear about it.

#include <std_disclaimer.h>