[comp.databases] Any experience with raw-devices?

petter@fdmetd.uucp (Petter Henrik Hansen) (02/15/91)

Using Oracle with raw.devices on Unix.

I have been running this as a test installation for a while
and I have not detected any errors.

My questions:        Has anyone had any bad experiences while using
	             Oracle on raw-devices?

		     The Oracle manuals are talking about 20% increase
		     in performance. Is this a good estimate?

		     What about backup of the database while running on
		     raw-device. Any smart solutions?

If I get enough responses, I'll summarize to the net.

Petter Henrik Hansen,  Fellesdata a.s, P.O. Box 248, 0212 OSLO 2, NORWAY
Phone : +47 2 52 84 02                            Fax   : +47 2 52 85 10
E-mail : ...!mcsun!nuug!fdmetd!petter   or       petter@fdmetd.uucp
<The opinions expressed, if any, do not represent Fellesdata a.s>

tensmekl@infonode.ingr.com (Kermit Tensmeyer) (02/15/91)

In article <771@fdmetd.uucp> petter@fdmetd.uucp (Petter Henrik Hansen) writes:
>Using Oracle with raw.devices on Unix.
>

>My questions:        Has anyone had any bad experiences while using
>	             Oracle on raw-devices?

	I had massive (30+%) improvment using raw devices to access the
	same data on the same phyiscal machine. Part of the speed up comes
	in bypassing the UNIX cache. [If it's not in the Oracle cache, then
	it's not likly in the U**X cache.] The second advantage is that you
	can have ulimit protection while accessing a large Database (ie
	osh is not needed to execute.)

>		     What about backup of the database while running on
>		     raw-device. Any smart solutions?

	The real problem with backup is that TableSpaces as a whole must
	be backed up to a consistent state. It doesn't make much difference
	to a backup utility that you will backup 475 megabytes of Raw Storage
	( scpio ) or 475 Megabytes of Unix Filespace. (mcpio, scpio, mbru etc.)

--
Kermit Tensmeyer                        | Intergraph Corporation
UUCP:     ...uunet!ingr!tensmekl	| One Madison Industrial Park