[comp.databases] 4D Technical Notes

nd@doc.ic.ac.uk (Naranker Dulay) (02/12/91)

Does anyone subscribe to ACI's 4D Technical Notes. I would
be interested to know what subjects have they covered, and how comprehensively
they were covered.

Are they worth paying 250 UK pounds (about $500) per annum for?

Thanks in advance.
 Naranker Dulay           Email: nd@doc.ic.ac.uk
 Dept. of Computing,             nd%uk.ac.ic.doc@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
 Imperial College,               nd@icdoc.UUCP  or  ..!ukc!icdoc!nd
 180 Queen's Gate,        Phone: +44 71-589-5111 ext 5091
 London SW7 2BZ, UK.      Fax:   +44 71-581-8024

johnston@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Jon Johnston) (02/17/91)

       The technical notes cover such about everything you could thing of with
relation to using and programming in 4D. If you're a developer, they are well
worth buying.

       Examples..... Topics are, printing, passwords, multi-user operations,
optimization, design tips, cautionary notes, data entry, custom menus....

       these things have also helped me with other database languages I use...
if you don't consider yourself the god of 4D, they're well worth it becasuse
they also, at times, cover the inner workings of the package....

     i'm not in any way, shape or form connected iwth acius, other than i do
4D programming....

UUCP: {amdahl!bungia, crash}!orbit!pnet51!johnston
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!johnston@nosc.mil
INET: johnston@pnet51.orb.mn.org
America Online:Biggity          Someday, after we have mastered the winds,
CompuServe:75470,1740           the tides and gravity, we shall harness for
                                God the energies of love. Then, for the
                                    second time in the history of the world
                                   man will have discovered fire.
                                                Tielhard de Chardin

alex@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Edmund Davis) (02/18/91)

In article <4123@orbit.cts.com> johnston@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Jon Johnston) writes:

>       The technical notes cover such about everything you could thing of with
>relation to using and programming in 4D. If you're a developer, they are well
>worth buying.

(various good things to say about the tech notes)

>UUCP: {amdahl!bungia, crash}!orbit!pnet51!johnston
>ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!johnston@nosc.mil

If you have read the manuals carefully, you really want some good tech notes.
Unfortunately, once you have paid ACIUS' steep prices for the tech notes, they
still leave you wanting.  Now, I agree with Jon: you have to get them.  But,
I really don't think that they should cost as much as they do.
Also, ACIUS tells me that _all_ the tech notes are available on Compuserve to
developers.  I haven't checked this out though.

alex
----
Edmund A. Davis			      Internet:	alex@eniac.seas.upenn.edu
ACIUS Registered Developer             US Mail:	233-F So. Melville St.
						Philadelphia, PA 19139
					  	(215) 386-3305