[comp.databases] Very Large Databases

gni@sys.uea.ac.uk (Ingham CMP Staff) (02/28/90)

	I am looking for very large databases > 10 megabytes (raw
data) for use as input to some example queries, in a project I am
involved with. I am aware of databases such as the Wisconsin database
for benchmarking, but I would like some real data (mixed numeric and
aplhabetic) preferably interesting or amusing :-).  That I can try
some of our queries on.

	On site we have Ingres on Suns, Vax and Oracle on the Apple
Macintosh, exports from these or simple delimited fields will do. We
can read any of the following but obtaining it via FTP would be
better: Sun cartridge, exabyte cartridge, PC discs, Mac discs, Mag
Tapes.

	If anybody out there has any ideas of where I might try to
obtain something like this in machine readable form I would be very
grateful to hear from you.

	thanks, Greg!

             Greg Newton-Ingham                 |Post:
                                                |   School of Info. Systems
             Greg@sys.uea.ac.uk                 |   University of East Anglia
      JANET: Greg@uk.ac.uea.sys                 |   The Plain
   Internet: Greg%sys.uea.ac.uk@cunyvm.cuny.edu |   Norwich, UK
EARN/BITNET: Greg%sys.uea.ac.uk@UKACRL          |   NR4 7TJ
       UUCP: Greg%sys.uea.ac.uk@ukc.uucp        |Phone: +44 603 56161 Ext 2691

nigelc@cognos.UUCP (Nigel Campbell) (02/16/91)

Can you recommend some decent books on Very Large Databases .
Thanks

--
Nigel Campbell          Voice: (613) 783-6828                P.O. Box 9707
Cognos Incorporated       FAX: (613) 738-0002                3755 Riverside Dr.

mto@gte.com (Tamer Ozsu) (02/19/91)

In article <9351@cognos.UUCP> nigelc@cognos.UUCP (Nigel Campbell) writes:

>Can you recommend some decent books on Very Large Databases .
>Thanks
>
>--
>Nigel Campbell          Voice: (613) 783-6828                P.O. Box 9707

Are you asking for books that specially deal with VERY large
databases, or with databases in general? What is the definition of
VERY large? There are a series of annual conferences called Very Large
Data Bases, but the papers that are presented deal with general
database issues.

=+Tamer

--
M. Tamer Ozsu				Telephone:	(617) 466-2098
GTE Laboratories			      Fax:	(617) 290-0628