[comp.databases] Most Commonly used database for Unix

icsg8032@nero.cs.montana.edu (Narayan) (01/30/91)

Hi,

I am curious to know, which database software is most commonly used for Unix.

I appreciate you valuable opinions.

Narayan,
icsg8032@caesar.cs.montana.edu

ajayshah@alhena.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) (01/30/91)

In article <3389@dali> icsg8032@nero.cs.montana.edu (Narayan) writes:

>Hi,
>
>I am curious to know, which database software is most commonly used for Unix.

Depends on what you mean.  If flatfile databases count, and if
you measure amount of usage by number of databases, then it's
definitely awk.  Even if you measure amount of usage by number of
transactions, and if flatfile databases count, then it's awk.

If you restrict attention to RDBMS systems, I recall a rather old
survey in Unix World where Unify was tops.  I don't know what
it'll be today.

Ajay Shah, (213)734-3930, ajayshah@usc.edu
                              The more things change, the more they stay insane.

bg0l+@andrew.cmu.edu (Bruce E. Golightly) (01/30/91)

Carnegie Mellon uses Ingres extensively on a variety of platforms and
operating systems. Among them are VAXen running Ultrix, Sequents,
running whatever Unix it is that they use, Sun and several others I
can't remember right off hand.

I won't try to claim that Ingres is flawless, but we're pleased enough
that we continue to write and deploy new systems using it. Plans call
for continued development for the future, with a very high probability
that we will also migrate existing systems from their present OS
environments to Unix, in hopes of gaining greater indenpendence from
vender specific platforms.

#############################################################################
                                     !
Bruce E. Golightly                   !  bg0l@andrew.cmu.edu (BeeGeeZeroEl)
Chief of Data Base Development       !  Voice - (412)268-8560
Telecommunications Group             !  Fax   - (412)268-5249
Carnegie Mellon University           !  University Computation Center
                                     !  4910 Forbes Ave.
Past President, West. Pa. IUA        !  Pittsburgh PA 15213-3890
#############################################################################

tpg@n5pph007.UUCP (Peter Graham) (02/14/91)

In article <29695@usc> ajayshah@alhena.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) writes:
>In article <3389@dali> icsg8032@nero.cs.montana.edu (Narayan) writes:
>>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I am curious to know, which database software is most commonly used for Unix.

If I'm not mistaken, the top honors now goes to Oracle.
reply to: ...!mcnc!rti!n5pph007!tpg
NTI may care what I say, but I'm not
saying it for them...these opinions
and statements are mine entirely

cooper@beno.CSS.GOV (Dale Cooper) (02/15/91)

In article <506@n5pph007.UUCP> tpg@n5pph007.UUCP (T Peter Graham) writes:
>In article <29695@usc> ajayshah@alhena.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) writes:
>>In article <3389@dali> icsg8032@nero.cs.montana.edu (Narayan) writes:
>>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I am curious to know, which database software is most commonly used for Unix.
>
>If I'm not mistaken, the top honors now goes to Oracle.

Don't fall into the trap of the issue of "which database software is most
commonly used for Unix".  One should base their "honor roll" on "which
database software performs BEST on a Unix platform."

I could think of a few that are better suited for Unix...But that's my
own humble opinion.

>reply to: ...!mcnc!rti!n5pph007!tpg
>NTI may care what I say, but I'm not
>saying it for them...these opinions
>and statements are mine entirely

Dale Cooper, DBA				Within every life, a little
Geophysical Systems and Support			   rain must fall.
Center for Seismic Studies			Why is my office soaking wet?
Arlington, VA					[standard disclaimers here]

neal@mnopltd.UUCP (02/16/91)

->In article <29695@usc> ajayshah@alhena.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) writes:
->>In article <3389@dali> icsg8032@nero.cs.montana.edu (Narayan) writes:
->>>
->>>I am curious to know, which database software is most commonly used for Unix.
->
->If I'm not mistaken, the top honors now goes to Oracle.
->-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beware of what you exrapolate from that.   Which os software is most commonly
used on 386 ISA workstations?

If I'm not mistaken, it is far and away MS-Dos.   What does that _mean_?
(maybe inertia?)

Neal Rhodes                       MNOP Ltd                     (404)- 972-5430
President                Lilburn (atlanta) GA 30247             Fax:  978-4741
                             emory!mnopltd!neal
                         gatech!emory!mnopltd!neal

robinson@durham.med.unc.edu (Gerard A. Robinson) (02/19/91)

>In article <29695@usc> ajayshah@alhena.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) writes:
>>In article <3389@dali> icsg8032@nero.cs.montana.edu (Narayan) writes:
>>
>>I am curious to know, which database software is most commonly used for Unix.
>
>If I'm not mistaken, the top honors now goes to Oracle.

Hmmm, I'd actually think INGRES, as it is bundled in both Ultrix 4.x and
SCO's Open Desktop product.  This would of course depend upon how successful
each has been at marketing their respective products :-) It would, of course,
also depend upon, whether one uses figures based on dollar volume or on
number of installations.  This is often the case for workstation percentages
where Sun has 32%, and HP 26% (or thereabouts) of the dollar volume, but
the number of workstations shipped actually skews these numbers more to the
40% vs. 20% range.  The difference in measurement schemes would definitely
affect the answer to this question.  Anyone got any real numbers on this?

Gerard Robinson