[comp.databases] What is the current status of ISO RDA?

bryk@IDA.ORG (Bill Brykczynski) (02/13/91)

Pardon if this topic has been recently discussed, but what
is the current status of the Remote Database Access standard?
The last I heard was that the generic RDA standard was out for its
second ballot, and that the SQL specialization was out for its
first.  The results of the ballot were to be made public late
in 1990.  Were they successful?

Who is experimenting with RDA?  I had heard that X3H2.1 had
formed a consortium to  develop an RDA prototype, and that it
was composed of major vendors (e.g., Tandem, DEC, Ingres, HP,
NCR, etc.,).  Are any results available?  Is anyone else
experimenting with RDA?

Bill Brykczynski
Institute for Defense Analyses
1801 N. Beauregard St.
Alexandria, VA 22311
703-845-6641
bryk@ida.org

benl@adt.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Ben.Lheureux) (02/20/91)

In article <1991Feb12.194807.769@IDA.ORG> bryk@IDA.ORG (Bill Brykczynski) writes:
>Pardon if this topic has been recently discussed, but what
>is the current status of the Remote Database Access standard?
>The last I heard was that the generic RDA standard was out for its
>second ballot, and that the SQL specialization was out for its
>first.  The results of the ballot were to be made public late
>in 1990.  Were they successful?
>
>Who is experimenting with RDA?  I had heard that X3H2.1 had
>formed a consortium to  develop an RDA prototype, and that it
>was composed of major vendors (e.g., Tandem, DEC, Ingres, HP,
>NCR, etc.,).  Are any results available?  Is anyone else
>experimenting with RDA?

The SQL Access group is working on (and making significant progress
on) a prototype of RDA and X/Open's Specification of SQL.  You may
talk to our PR representative for more details:

	Bob Crutchfield
	996 Redondo Avenue
	Suite 515
	Long Beach, CA 90804
	(213) 438-5788

>Bill Brykczynski
>Institute for Defense Analyses
>1801 N. Beauregard St.
>Alexandria, VA 22311
>703-845-6641
>bryk@ida.org

Benoit.Lheureux@sandiego.NCR.COM      ####################################
Application Dev Tools, Dept 9143      #  Opinions are my own, not NCR's  #
16550 West Bernardo Drive             #    Farewell Micro C Magazine     #
San Diego, CA 92127 619/485-3578      ####################################

jeff@Unify.Com (Jeff Mischkinsky) (02/26/91)

In article <1991Feb19.210316.27518@SanDiego.NCR.COM> benl@adt.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Ben.Lheureux) writes:
>In article <1991Feb12.194807.769@IDA.ORG> bryk@IDA.ORG (Bill Brykczynski) writes:
>>Pardon if this topic has been recently discussed, but what
>>is the current status of the Remote Database Access standard?
>>The last I heard was that the generic RDA standard was out for its
>>second ballot, and that the SQL specialization was out for its
>>first.  The results of the ballot were to be made public late
>>in 1990.  Were they successful?

The ballots have closed.  There was an editing meeting which was continued
to Feb, 1991 (i think) to finalize the results
but it was cancelled due to the gulf war.  Its been tentatively rescheduled,
but...

There is also an ISO ballot on a New Work Item to do RDA stored procedures
that is currently being voted on.

BTW, Bill, There was an ISO editing meeting which approved registering
SQL2 as a Draft International Standard (DIS).  It will be "available" as soon
as Melton gets done doing the massive edit job, probably sometime in April.
Current plan is to start an IS ballot around June/July with the editing
meeting (for IS) tentatively scheduled for Jan, 1992.  SQL2 may
actually be approved in our lifetimes!

>>Who is experimenting with RDA?  I had heard that X3H2.1 had
>>formed a consortium to  develop an RDA prototype, and that it
>>was composed of major vendors (e.g., Tandem, DEC, Ingres, HP,
>>NCR, etc.,).  Are any results available?  Is anyone else
>>experimenting with RDA?
>
>The SQL Access group is working on (and making significant progress
>on) a prototype of RDA and X/Open's Specification of SQL.  You may
>talk to our PR representative for more details:
>
>	Bob Crutchfield
>	996 Redondo Avenue
>	Suite 515
>	Long Beach, CA 90804
>	(213) 438-5788
I might add that SQL Access is feeding its work into X3H2.1 as change
proposals to the draft standard.
--
Jeff Mischkinsky		internet: jeff@unify.com
Unify Corporation		          ...!{pyramid,csusac}!unify!jeff