[comp.databases] Informix over NFS

howell@telesci.UUCP (Douglass J Howell ) (03/17/89)

We are currently running informix SQL & 4GL on Turbo

Our working directories are on our SUN server and NFSed onto
our HP 9000/835 where Informix runs.

When using I4Gl and ISQL to create .sql files and .4gl files,
after the files are created, they never appear in the menu's
list of files.  You can use/access/compile/run them if you
know their names, they just do not appear in the menu file
list.  When the files are located directly on the HP, they
appear in the menu file list.  ergo, some problem Informix
has with files that are located elsewhere and made available
through NFS.

The obvious solution is to place all the files on the HP.  The
better solution for us is to find some way to work around this
bug or find a fix.  Can anyone help?

Thank you.

--
Doug Howell
Phone:	+1 609 866 1000 x218

prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) (02/26/91)

In article <1991PMSat.23.2644@dircon.co.uk> uaa1006@dircon.co.uk (Peter Miles) writes:

>I'm trying to access a database using Informix R4GL and SQL version
>2.10.03F. The database (.dbs) directory is actually on an NFS-mounted
>directory, but the informix executables and the 4gl code is held
>directly on my own machine.

>Anyway, whenever I try to access the database, I get errors:
>In SQL it says:
>
>        329: Database not found or no system permission
>        22: Invalid argument

Informix actually checks whether the file system you're using is local
or mounted via NFS. If it is located on some other machine, it gives up.
The database engine has to be run on the same machine as the file system.
So, the "fix" is to install Informix/Net (is it available yet?).

--
Robert Claeson

Disclaimer: I represent myself and not my employer.

prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) (02/26/91)

gordon@barbados.uk.Sun.COM (G Rehling, Sun UK) responds to someone having
problems using Informix on an NFS-mounted file system:

>Sun's NetISAM has X/OPEN based interface i.e. C-ISAM compatible, which  does
>support NFS and provides much higher throughput than other ISAM packages
>which do
>run across NFS. Contact your local Sun Sales office for more details - however
>this probably won't fix your informix problem, sorry.

This does not help the chap with the Informix problems. He was using SCO
UNIX/386 on a PC-type system, and unless things have changed very recently,
Sun NetISAM (a fine product, admittedly) runs on Sun machines only.

--

jfiglik@informix.com (James R. Figlik) (02/27/91)

In article <1991Feb26.080751.7629@erbe.se> prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) writes:
> In article <1991PMSat.23.2644@dircon.co.uk> uaa1006@dircon.co.uk (Peter Miles) writes:
>
> >I'm trying to access a database using Informix R4GL and SQL version
> >2.10.03F. The database (.dbs) directory is actually on an NFS-mounted
> >directory, but the informix executables and the 4gl code is held
> >directly on my own machine.
>
> >Anyway, whenever I try to access the database, I get errors:
> >In SQL it says:
> >
> >        329: Database not found or no system permission
> >        22: Invalid argument
>
> Informix actually checks whether the file system you're using is local
> or mounted via NFS. If it is located on some other machine, it gives up.
> The database engine has to be run on the same machine as the file system.
> So, the "fix" is to install Informix/Net (is it available yet?).

According to my product listing it is still available (2.10.03 is the
previous version).

Jim
--
Jim Figlik @ Informix, Des Plaines IL       UUCP: {pyramid|uunet}!infmx!jfiglik