[comp.databases] Ingres - Windows 4GL - Barcodes

beveland@IASTATE.EDU (Eveland Bruce R) (02/23/91)

 Greetings!  I'm in need of talking to someone that has a fair size
application up on Ingres running under ULTRIX to find out what its
capabilities are.  I also would like to talk with someone that is using
the Ingres Windows 4GL product.  Last but not least I need to find out
what software one might use to print out Barcodes from a DECstation
running ULTRIX and could this be done from Ingres since we will be using
Barcodes to input some of the data.

Thanx for your time and any help that you can provide!!

      * When you don't know where you're going any way will get you
there. *

Bruce Eveland
College of Vet. Med.
Iowa State University

pavlov@canisius.UUCP (Greg Pavlov) (02/25/91)

In article <1991Feb22.102605@IASTATE.EDU>, beveland@IASTATE.EDU (Eveland Bruce R) writes:

>  Greetings!  I'm in need of talking to someone that has a fair size
> application up on Ingres running under ULTRIX to find out what its
> capabilities are. ....
> ... what software one might use to print out Barcodes from a DECstation
> running ULTRIX and could this be done from Ingres ...

  Our fair size application:  apx. 400 tables, consuming apx. 1.2 GB disk,
   on DEC RISC ULTRIX  (DECSystem 5000 as server, DECSystem 5000s, 3100s,
   and a 5400 as clients).

  INGRES's "capabilities":  after a solid year of patches, upgrades, and
   a huge amount of wasted work we are STILL experiencing daily server
   "hangs", "crashes", and lost communication to clients.  Some retrievals
   simply don't work.  The "management tools" are inadequate.

   INGRES tech support is working hard.  They have seen the problems first
   hand, have dialed to examine problems when they have occurred, and taken
   information from us to replicate them internally.  Bugs have been iden-
   tified and (hopefully) someone is working on them.

   So eventually, Real Soon Now, we will have a functional "production-quality"
   DBMS.  But:

  ASK management's "capabilities":  when our financial sponsors finally lost
   patience and addressed their concerns to the upper layers of ASK corpor-
   ate, the initial response was that  a) INGRES was fine,  b) inferred that
   the problems may be/probably are of our own doing and  c), complained about
   my "behavior" towards some ASK VP (or whatever the title..).

   Fortunately for me personally, this disinformation gambit didn't work,
   our sponsors insisted on additional action, and the effort to clean this
   port up seems to have picked up quite a bit.

   The "message" here is that if you do go ahead and run into trouble, you
   may find yourself in a rather precarious situation career-wise...

    greg pavlov
    pavlov@stewart.fstrf.org

us267384@mmm.serc.3m.com (Steven M. Anastasi) (02/26/91)

From article <1991Feb22.102605@IASTATE.EDU>, by beveland@IASTATE.EDU (Eveland Bruce R):
>  Greetings!  I'm in need of talking to someone that has a fair size
> application up on Ingres running under ULTRIX to find out what its
> capabilities are.
Can't help here.

> I also would like to talk with someone that is using
> the Ingres Windows 4GL product.
We are using w4gl from ingres on an HP 9000 series.  We started
development on VAX/VMS 5.3 but moved to HP-UX when w4gl came available.
Respond via e-mail if you want to talk further.
(smanastasi@mmm.serc.3m.com)

> Last but not least I need to find out
> what software one might use to print out Barcodes from a DECstation
> running ULTRIX and could this be done from Ingres since we will be using

We are using JetForm.  It is a software package that allows you to
design forms and labels on a 386 graphics PC.  JetForm then provides an
executable merge program that runs on your host machine (HP 9000 in our
case).  The merge program takes data in flat files and merges it with
the form you designed on the PC.  JetForm can designate different trays
for the form on your laser printer.

Since JetForm needs a flat-file of data, you can write a C procedure to
do the extraction from your database and then call JetForm - piece of
cake.

us267384@mmm.serc.3m.com (Steven M. Anastasi) (02/28/91)

From article <53978@sequent.UUCP>, by dafuller@sequent.UUCP (David Fuller):
>>> what software one might use to print out Barcodes from a DECstation
>>> running ULTRIX and could this be done from Ingres since we will be using
>>>
>>We are using JetForm.  It is a software package that allows you to
>>design forms and labels on a 386 graphics PC.  JetForm then provides an
>>executable merge program that runs on your host machine (HP 9000 in our
>>case).  The merge program takes data in flat files and merges it with
>>the form you designed on the PC.  JetForm can designate different trays
>>for the form on your laser printer.
>>
>>Since JetForm needs a flat-file of data, you can write a C procedure to
>>do the extraction from your database and then call JetForm - piece of
>>cake.
>
> If you are doing industrial barcode label printing then the suggested
> solution may not work.  I would strongly suggest that the original writer
> poke their HP reps for recommendations regarding how HP does barcoding on
> their assembly line.  There are some nice, high speed, industrial barcode
> printers that understand the standard and can spit out labels with a
> single *clunk*.  I've interfaced these to the AUX port of various terminals
> with good result.

This sounds interesting.  What type of labels? - postcript, color, using
various label stocks?

In my original posting, I failed to mention is that the bar-code is only
a small
part of the label or form that is printed and that labels are printed
rather infrequently, as items are passing by at high speeds.

Steve Anastasi