[comp.databases] Is Clarion a compiler??

danda@sj.ate.slb.com (Jeff Danda) (02/25/91)

I am confused.  I was looking at the Clarion Developers edition at my local
software store and it mentioned that it is capable of generating .exe's
  The box did not say anything about Clarion being a dbase compiler like
Clipper.  Is Clarion a compiler?  How does it compare to Clipper?  I am
looking to write medical/dental billing applications without having to use
run-time modules.

any opinions of either Clarion or Clipper would be appreciated.

Jeff.

todd@toolz.uucp (Todd Merriman) (02/27/91)

danda@sj.ate.slb.com (Jeff Danda) writes:
>I am confused.  I was looking at the Clarion Developers edition at my local
>software store and it mentioned that it is capable of generating .exe's
>  The box did not say anything about Clarion being a dbase compiler like
>Clipper.  Is Clarion a compiler?

Yes.  The Developer's edition includes a compiler for their language
and an application generator that spits out their language.

Warning, Warning.  The documentation is about 5% of what you need
to use the Software (they like to sell support and after-market
add-ons like training).

I don't know anything about Clipper.

tomr@dbase.A-T.COM (Tom Rombouts) (02/28/91)

In article <1991Feb24.231455.2956@sj.ate.slb.com> danda@sj.ate.slb.com (Jeff Danda) writes:

>I am confused.  I was looking at the Clarion Developers edition at my local
>software store and it mentioned that it is capable of generating .exe's
>  The box did not say anything about Clarion being a dbase compiler like
>Clipper.  Is Clarion a compiler?  How does it compare to Clipper?  I am
>looking to write medical/dental billing applications without having to use
>run-time modules.

Clarion can operate using either ".PRO" files, which are analagous to
dBASE IV .DBO or FoxPro .FXP tokenized (or pseudo-compiled) files, or
else can optionally make .EXE's that are even bigger than Clipper's. :-)

The Clarion language is very well thought out, but it is certainly
a niche product with not nearly the widespread popularity as the
combination of dBASE, FoxPro and Clipper.  As such, there are far, far
fewer add on services such as source libraries, books, BBS systems,
etc.  Also, I would suspect Clarion coding skills would be less commonly
wanted should you wish to consider being an in-house developer
in the future.

Compared to Clipper, besides its totally different 4GL-type language,
Clarion also features a complete application designer and code generator
analagous to those included with dBASE IV or FoxPro.  If you wish to use
something like this with Clipper, you would need to purchase it
separately.  UI2, Stage or Scrimmage are some of the more popular
products in this category.

btw, although vaporware won't help you now, both Ashton-Tate and
Fox Software have announced intentions to deliver .EXE producing
products in the near future.

Hope this helps.

Tom Rombouts  Torrance 'Tater  tomr@ashtate.A-T.com  V:(213)538-7108

russell@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz (Russell J Fulton;ccc032u) (02/28/91)

todd@toolz.uucp (Todd Merriman) writes:

>Yes.  The Developer's edition includes a compiler for their language
>and an application generator that spits out their language.

>Warning, Warning.  The documentation is about 5% of what you need
>to use the Software (they like to sell support and after-market
>add-ons like training).

I think thats a bit misleading to say the least. I had a play with clarion
with only the Introductory guide as documentation and got on OK. I have
friends who us it alot (They have all the documentation!) and I have not
heard any complaints.

Clarion certainly don't run any courses here :-)!

Russell

--
Russell Fulton, Computer Center, University of Auckland, New Zealand.
<rj_fulton@aukuni.ac.nz>