[comp.databases] Input requested on Gupta SqlWindows

lpendley@netcom.COM (Lou Pendley) (03/01/91)

I am currently interested in SqlWindows by Gupta, in Menlo Park.  I
would greatly appreciate any first hand experience with this product, as
nobody I know has used it.

It is claimed to be SQL compatible, runs under Microsoft Windows, and it
looks fairly credible.  The price tag is in the mid-range, but if it is a
truly graphical database, windowing application, I feel as though it is
worth it.

Specifically, if you could answer the following questions, I would be
greatly in your debt:

a)  How is their documentation?
b)  How is the technical support?
c)  Is the software reliable, bug free?
d)  How is their VAR program?
e)  Do you know of a better windows based, SQL database system on the
    IBM, currently shipping, NOW?
f)  Are there any user groups, bulletin boards?
g)  Is it worth the money they are charging?

I'm currently trying to evaluate their product.  I'm an ORACLE fan at
heart, but Gupta seems to have a Windows 3.0 product, and is SQL compatible,
to the best of my knowledge.  I have heard that ORACLE will be coming out
with ORACLE CARD, but I don't believe it's shipping yet, and I frankly
don't know what is foilware, and what is not!

Thank you for your input.

Lou.

my net address is:  lpendley@netcom.COM

kevin@msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) (03/02/91)

lpendley@netcom.COM (Lou Pendley) writes:

>I am currently interested in SqlWindows by Gupta, in Menlo Park.  I
>would greatly appreciate any first hand experience with this product, as
>nobody I know has used it.

>It is claimed to be SQL compatible, runs under Microsoft Windows, and it
>looks fairly credible.  The price tag is in the mid-range, but if it is a
>truly graphical database, windowing application, I feel as though it is
>worth it.

>Specifically, if you could answer the following questions, I would be
>greatly in your debt:

>a)  How is their documentation?
Was bad. Getting better. Not yet outstanding.

>b)  How is the technical support?
O.K. It took about half a day to get a callback with an answer.

>c)  Is the software reliable, bug free?
Let's say reliable, but not completely bug free.

>d)  How is their VAR program?
Don't know. You do have to pay for each copy of the runtime system, when
you distribute applications.

>e)  Do you know of a better windows based, SQL database system on the
>    IBM, currently shipping, NOW?

It depends on what you want.  Gupta seems pretty nice as long as you
are willing to work within its limits.  If you just want quick screens
with database access, it works well.  If you want to specify PRECISELY
what is on the screen, it can take a lot of work outside of Gupta.
For example, we wanted drop-down combo boxes (and lots of them).  It does
not (did not?) support them.  Object/1 "First-Look" (looks like beta to
me) seems to be kinda flakey, but you can always write your own class
to define any behavior they do not provide.  Gupta's a lot more
convenient and stable; Object/1 is less limiting.  You take your choice.

>f)  Are there any user groups, bulletin boards?
Don't know.

>g)  Is it worth the money they are charging?
If you are looking for 4GL style database access under Windows, and you'd
like to do it quick, I think it is fairly priced. Why don't you try
to get them to ship to you on a P.O., with the right to return it or
pay for it after 30 days?
--
Kevin Kleinfelter @ Dun and Bradstreet Software, Inc (404) 239-2347
{emory,gatech}!nanovx!msa3b!kevin

Look closely at the return address.  It is nanovx and NOT nanovAx.