[comp.databases] Database related magazines & UNIX workstations

mark@DRD.Com (Mark Lawrence) (02/26/91)

I'm in the middle of an evaluation of an rdbms for a UNIX workstation
(Sun, DEC, IBM, H-P) based application and I'm discovering a paucity
of technical information on currently available rdbms's in the relevent
trade journals for this particular class of platforms.  I'm thinking in
particular of a head to head evaluation of Ingres, Oracle, Sybase, Unify,
Progress and Informix.  I don't care about Dbase, Clipper, FoxPro,
xdb, et al.  We take:

  _Database_Programming_&_Design_ (Miller Freeman)
  _DBMS_ (M&T Publishing)

and neither of these has any of the in-depth comparison articles about
rdbms's on UNIX workstation platforms that I've come to expect of PC
Digest, PC Week and Byte for PC databases.  They seem to be more oriented
to the extremes (mainframe/mini or PC).  These are pay for play
magazines, too, so they're supposed to be fairly independent.

Can anybody point me to some publications which do these kind of reviews
and make "Editor's Choice" kinds of awards?  If not, there seems to be a
real hole here that some magazine publisher needs to fill.
--
mark@drd.com
mark@jnoc.go.jp    $B!J%^!<%/!&%i%l%s%9!K(B   Nihil novum sub solem

toms@utoday.com (Tom Smith) (02/27/91)

In article <1991Feb25.175924.29673@DRD.Com> mark@drd.Com (Mark Lawrence) writes:
>I'm in the middle of an evaluation of an rdbms for a UNIX workstation
>(Sun, DEC, IBM, H-P) based application and I'm discovering a paucity
>of technical information on currently available rdbms's in the relevent
>trade journals for this particular class of platforms.  I'm thinking in
>particular of a head to head evaluation of Ingres, Oracle, Sybase, Unify,
>Progress and Informix.  I don't care about Dbase, Clipper, FoxPro,
>xdb, et al.  We take:
>
>  _Database_Programming_&_Design_ (Miller Freeman)
>  _DBMS_ (M&T Publishing)
>
>and neither of these has any of the in-depth comparison articles about
>rdbms's on UNIX workstation platforms that I've come to expect of PC
>Digest, PC Week and Byte for PC databases.  They seem to be more oriented
>to the extremes (mainframe/mini or PC).  These are pay for play
>magazines, too, so they're supposed to be fairly independent.
>
>Can anybody point me to some publications which do these kind of reviews
>and make "Editor's Choice" kinds of awards?  If not, there seems to be a
>real hole here that some magazine publisher needs to fill.
>--
>mark@drd.com
>mark@jnoc.go.jp    $B!J%^!<%/!&%i%l%s%9!K(B   Nihil novum sub solem

I am not sure who publishes this magazine :-) but Unix Today! recently
had an article discussing just these type of RDBMS's.  I believe it
was the December 10th or so issue.  The byline is Julie Anderson's.

Tom Smith

michelle@Thalatta.COM (Michelle Wannamaker) (03/02/91)

In article <1991Feb27.010205.9301@utoday.com> toms@utoday.com (Tom Smith) writes:
>In article <1991Feb25.175924.29673@DRD.Com> mark@drd.Com (Mark Lawrence) writes:
>>I'm in the middle of an evaluation of an rdbms for a UNIX workstation
>>(Sun, DEC, IBM, H-P) based application and I'm discovering a paucity
>>of technical information on currently available rdbms's in the relevent
>>trade journals for this particular class of platforms.  I'm thinking in
>>particular of a head to head evaluation of Ingres, Oracle, Sybase, Unify,
>>Progress and Informix.  I don't care about Dbase, Clipper, FoxPro,
             <<  some lines deleted for brevity >>
>>Can anybody point me to some publications which do these kind of reviews

>I am not sure who publishes this magazine :-) but Unix Today! recently
>had an article discussing just these type of RDBMS's.  I believe it
>was the December 10th or so issue.  The byline is Julie Anderson's.

Close.  Try the January 7, 1991 issue.

In-Real-Life: Michelle Midkiff-Wannamaker          Thalatta Corporation
              mkw@Thalatta.com                     Bellevue, WA