[comp.databases] Using Sybase DB-Library and g++ ??

haverlan@tramp.colorado.edu (HAVERLAND MARC BRADLEY) (03/01/91)

Hello net,

I am trying to use Sybase's DB-Library with g++.  I have been able to
compile and run all the example programs with gcc, and have successfully
written another, but I'm having trouble using g++.

All programs compile and run fine with gcc.  I have rewritten the parts
of the sybase header files that I need now (added ANSI prototypes), but
when I try to compile with g++, all the db___ calls are "undefined symbols
referenced in text segment."  That is, dbbind.o, dbinit.o, etc.  I am
using libsybdb.a, and it seems to be finding the library ok, just not the
functions in it.

Any input, sample source, etc. would be most welome.

Thanks,

Marc Haverland		haverlan@tramp.colorado.edu	303-760-5647

sundvall@bio.embnet.se (Mats Sundvall) (03/04/91)

In article <1991Mar1.063315.20306@csn.org>, haverlan@tramp.colorado.edu (HAVERLAND MARC BRADLEY) writes:

> Hello net,
>
> I am trying to use Sybase's DB-Library with g++.  I have been able to
> compile and run all the example programs with gcc, and have successfully
> written another, but I'm having trouble using g++.
>
> All programs compile and run fine with gcc.  I have rewritten the parts
> of the sybase header files that I need now (added ANSI prototypes), but
> when I try to compile with g++, all the db___ calls are "undefined symbols
> referenced in text segment."  That is, dbbind.o, dbinit.o, etc.  I am
> using libsybdb.a, and it seems to be finding the library ok, just not the
> functions in it.
>
> Any input, sample source, etc. would be most welome.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Marc Haverland		haverlan@tramp.colorado.edu	303-760-5647

I do not know anything about g++ but I am using sybase dblibrary with
Sun C++. I you mention it is necessary to add ANSI prototypes. You also
have to add an

extern "C" {

}

around your header file to get C linkage. This works with Sun C++.
By the way, I think the support I got from Sybase when I had this problem
was very bad. I asked them if anyone had done these conversions and
if I could get the header files with ANSI prototypes. Well, I do not know
was the answer! Well, I did it myself, in the real world you cannot wait
for a support guy to decide if he is going to support...

So, when we are at it, have anyone made an object interface for Sybase.
I am not sure if it is possible, but I think it should be possible to
have a class of persitent objects, that can be saved and retrieved from
the database.

	Mats Sundvall,
	Uppsala University,
	Sweden