[comp.databases] sybase question

ombhurley@swift.cs.tcd.ie (10/17/90)

A friend of mine is working on a project and  asked me to try and get some info
for him.
The project involves data aquisition, processing and storing and uses as its
information core the Sybase product. It runs on a 25MHz 386 + 387 with 8M
main mem and 110M hard storage. Sybase is installed on a raw partition that's
about 30M in size. There is not extensive use made of interactive SQL, most
of the database dealings involve use of library routines from continually
and sporadically running C programs. (ie. some are continually logged into
the database, others log in and out as necessary).

p.s. the machine is running Interactive Unix 386

The problem(s) is(are) thus:

Every now and then, and seemingly at random, a process that is logged in to the
db will terminate correctly, but the db appears not to sever the login
connection. The application code has been checked thoroughly and appears
correct in view of the descriptions of the Sybase library functions. The
effect of this is to cause the db, after an unspecified but short period
of time to hang either for a matter of minutes or indefinitely. Sometimes
there is an accompanying message saying that Sybase has run out of Pss
structures.

At this point the sql server is completely useless and must be brought
down. If things hang completely, then this must be done violently, but
most of the time isql and a bit of patience can allow the server to be
shutdown correctly.

Ok, server is down, so reboot server. This happens: