[comp.databases] Recommendation for book on CASE*Method theory

billh@hbmc.uucp (Qingnian "Bill" Huang) (03/07/91)

I am working on a project and will use Oracle CASE tools to design a
database on SUN Sparcstation.

Having read Oracle's CASE*Method Tasks and Deliverables, Reference of
CASE*Dictionary, CASE*Designer and finished all the tutorial of the
Oracle CASE tools, I still do not fully understand the concept of the
CASE*Method, especialy the meaning of and the relation between the terms
like Function, dataflow, Data item, Datastore, etc.

Is there any one out there can recommend some good books or documents which
deal with the theory of CASE Method?

Thanks in advance.

wlb@progress.COM (Warren Bare) (03/07/91)

billh@hbmc.uucp (Qingnian "Bill" Huang) writes:

>I am working on a project and will use Oracle CASE tools to design a
>database on SUN Sparcstation.

>Having read Oracle's CASE*Method Tasks and Deliverables, Reference of
>CASE*Dictionary, CASE*Designer and finished all the tutorial of the
>Oracle CASE tools, I still do not fully understand the concept of the
>CASE*Method, especialy the meaning of and the relation between the terms
>like Function, dataflow, Data item, Datastore, etc.

>Is there any one out there can recommend some good books or documents which
>deal with the theory of CASE Method?

>Thanks in advance.

There is a GREAT book on this topic.  It is not a CASE book, it is a book
on the methods automated by CASE.  The name is "Analyzing Systems" by
James A. Kowal.  I think it is a Prentice (sp?) Hall book.  It will not
only define the above terms, but will help you UNDERSTAND the whole
process of systems analysis as opposed to just getting rules from
a manual.

Opinions are my own - not those of Progress Software.
Warren L. Bare                         UUCP: mit-eddie!progress!wlb
Progress Software Corp.                Internet: wlb@progress.com
5 Oak Park                             FAX: 1 617 275 4595
Bedford, MA  01730