[comp.databases] To Clip

userWINO@mts.ucs.UAlberta.CA (Myron Wintonyk) (02/28/91)

Our department, without consulting me, decided to produce
a database using clipper on a PC system using Novell Netware.

The reporting facilities are bad ... real bad.

They were intending to use a package called Relational Report
Writer to produce reports. Unfortunately, it can open a maximum
10 files/databases at one time. For the reports that they require.
This is not sufficient.

As a result, I am left with a dilemma. Should I try to develop
this system further, and if so, how should I produce reports. I
have only a basic knowledge of Clipper and dBase, and have no
idea how to produce useful reports. Or, should I start over again
on a mainframe system?

My main concerns are : Sorting in a non-indexed order,
Queries, and Scopes (only use a certain subset of the data).

So, my question is : Does anyone out there know an easy way
to develop reports. Hopefully a product that non-computer
people can use (mostly secretaries).

If you have any ideas on how to proceed, please send me a message

Myron Wintonyk,
Faculty of Medicine
University of Alberta

USERWINO@MTS.UCS.UALBERTA.CA

agonzale@nmsu.edu (Agustin Gonzalez-Tuchmann) (03/01/91)

In article <RN.170@mts.ucs.UAlberta.CA> userWINO@mts.ucs.UAlberta.CA (Myron Wintonyk) writes:

   Our department, without consulting me, decided to produce
   a database using clipper on a PC system using Novell Netware.

   The reporting facilities are bad ... real bad.

   They were intending to use a package called Relational Report
   Writer to produce reports. Unfortunately, it can open a maximum
   10 files/databases at one time. For the reports that they require.
   This is not sufficient.

With DOS 3.3 and higher you can open as many files as you like,
the only restriction being available memory.

   Myron Wintonyk,
   Faculty of Medicine
   University of Alberta

   USERWINO@MTS.UCS.UALBERTA.CA
New Mexico State University                  Office: SH-165
Computer Science Department                  Phone: (505) 646-6243
Las Cruces, N.M. 88003-0001                  e-mail: agonzale@nmsu.edu

jgb@prism.gatech.EDU (James G. Baker) (03/01/91)

In article <RN.170@mts.ucs.UAlberta.CA> userWINO@mts.ucs.UAlberta.CA (Myron Wintonyk) writes:
>Our department, without consulting me, decided to produce
>a database using clipper on a PC system using Novell Netware.
>The reporting facilities are bad ... real bad.
>
>They were intending to use a package called Relational Report
>Writer to produce reports. Unfortunately, it can open a maximum
>10 files/databases at one time. For the reports that they require.
>This is not sufficient.

I would hope this a CONFIG.SYS issue, but ten Ten open database files is
really a lot.  Perhaps the files are not structured in the right way.
(Relations, keys, etc).

Clipper is a 100% programming environment.  It has really broken away
from the dBase3 screen-formats and reports which I always thought were
extremely limited; but I am a programmer at heart. (I've been using it
since Autumn '86.)

I have heard good things about R&R but there is always a trade-off
between flexibility and ease-of-use.  (Unix and C are good examples of this :-)

Being a programmer, I have made all of my reports "from scratch" - I want
to be in control.  If your reports are too free form - and the database
doesn't change often - you could export it to other packages like Q&A that
offer more English-like/SQL-ish reports.

Being a programming language, there are lots of libraries out there for
Clipper (some PD, all unbelievably cheap, less that $200), that can do
a lot.  (Networking, Reports, Queries, etc).  Look in "Databased Advisor"
for examples as well as software places like "Programmer's Workshop".

But, if you want to avoid code-writing at all costs, Clipper really isn't
the right thing versus the {Mac-like, GUI, etc} query packages.

>As a result, I am left with a dilemma. Should I try to develop
>this system further, and if so, how should I produce reports. I
>have only a basic knowledge of Clipper and dBase, and have no
>idea how to produce useful reports. Or, should I start over again
>on a mainframe system?

There is more out there for Clipper and PCs than any mainframe.  A 486
will give a Vaxen a run for its money and the users love the PC interfaces
that should be easy to make up.

>My main concerns are : Sorting in a non-indexed order,
>Queries, and Scopes (only use a certain subset of the data).

Again, there is practically *nothing* Clipper can not do.  But it is a
programming language that with v5.0 is moderately close to C in power
and flexibility.

Good luck...

--
BAKER,JAMES G - Undergraduate Lab Instructor, School of Electrical Engineering
____  _    _    Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta Georgia, 30332
(_|. |_). |_).  Internet: jgb@prism.gatech.edu

tleylan@pegasus.com (Tom Leylan) (03/01/91)

In article <RN.170@mts.ucs.UAlberta.CA> userWINO@mts.ucs.UAlberta.CA (Myron Wintonyk) writes:
>Our department, without consulting me, decided to produce
>a database using clipper on a PC system using Novell Netware.
>
>The reporting facilities are bad ... real bad.
>
>They were intending to use a package called Relational Report
>Writer to produce reports. Unfortunately, it can open a maximum
>10 files/databases at one time. For the reports that they require.
>This is not sufficient.
>
>As a result, I am left with a dilemma. Should I try to develop
>this system further, and if so, how should I produce reports. I
>have only a basic knowledge of Clipper and dBase, and have no
>idea how to produce useful reports. Or, should I start over again
>on a mainframe system?
>
>My main concerns are : Sorting in a non-indexed order,
>Queries, and Scopes (only use a certain subset of the data).
>
>So, my question is : Does anyone out there know an easy way
>to develop reports. Hopefully a product that non-computer
>people can use (mostly secretaries).
>
>If you have any ideas on how to proceed, please send me a message
>
>Myron Wintonyk,
>Faculty of Medicine
>University of Alberta

Myron... Just a quick note re: keeping things in perspective.  I think
Clipper's reporting capability is just fine, there is (as you note) no
significant report writer included but there isn't one with C or Pascal
either.  Personally I program all my reports but many people use R & R
and they seem happy with it.

I guess my point is that I'm doubtful that your desire for secretaries to
write reports will ever be met.  If you have more files than R & R can
handle gut instinct tells me that a secretary isn't likely to understand
the relationships.  They aren't going to be doing SQL queries or RPG stuff
on mainframes either.

I might suggest that you contact Concentric just to see if they have a solution
to the file limitation or get somebody to program a QBE sort of report system
for you using Clipper.

tom leylan  tleylan@pegasus.com
(formerly with Nantucket Corp.)

Rick_Percival@kcbbs.gen.nz (Rick Percival) (03/03/91)

>So, my question is : Does anyone out there know an easy way
>to develop reports. Hopefully a product that non-computer
>people can use (mostly secretaries).
>
>If you have any ideas on how to proceed, please send me a message

You might want to have a look at Clarion Professional Developer. It
comes with an equivalent of R&R  called report Writer. It can use dbase
files so that shouldn't be a problem and you will find that the development
language is a REAL pleasure to use.

aprzygie@iiic.ethz.ch (Antoni Bronislaw Przygienda) (03/06/91)

In article <23102@hydra.gatech.EDU> jgb@prism.gatech.EDU (James G. Baker) writes:

>Clipper is a 100% programming environment.  It has really broken away
>from the dBase3 screen-formats and reports which I always thought were
>extremely limited; but I am a programmer at heart. (I've been using it
>since Autumn '86.)

I devellop professional software with Clipper since 1986 too & my opinions
are quite different:
	1) clipper is limited too !!!! Don't forget: it is NOT a database
	   server, it has more of a FILE SYSTEM in it. If you don't believe
	   it, just try to open some databases with a lot of indices &
	   some relation to (which you can only do for FIELDS with the same
	   names, joky, isn't it, I never heard the relational model forbids
	   two foreign keys of the same relation in relation!) & put a
	   couple of hundreds (not even thousands) of records into it !!
	   The performance is gone! My experience is: You have to be really
	   tricky to have a fast application & the performance almost always
	   goes down, when you do some changes to it!!
	2) The memory of this beast is a really nasty problem ! Why ? YOu
	   never have any !! Perhaps the Clipper 5.0 is better, but I tried
	    it once & found some teriffying bugs from start on !! Ever tried
	   to compile applications with macros in strings ?? The Summer
	   Clipper knows how to do it, the new one forgot this stuff !! That's
	   why I'm still on the older one.
	3) Ever tried to power the beast down when it works on his databases.
	   The next time you start your application it will break down with a
	   kind of 'index file corrupted ??!' execuse & you have no way to
	   find it out before !!

>Being a programming language, there are lots of libraries out there for
>Clipper (some PD, all unbelievably cheap, less that $200), that can do
>a lot.  (Networking, Reports, Queries, etc).  Look in "Databased Advisor"
>for examples as well as software places like "Programmer's Workshop".

	Agree, but the quality is not very good in the most cases & it is
	a cheap tool of course !!

>There is more out there for Clipper and PCs than any mainframe.  A 486
>will give a Vaxen a run for its money and the users love the PC interfaces
>that should be easy to make up.
>
>>My main concerns are : Sorting in a non-indexed order,
>>Queries, and Scopes (only use a certain subset of the data).
>
>Again, there is practically *nothing* Clipper can not do.  But it is a
>programming language that with v5.0 is moderately close to C in power
>and flexibility.

	Yes, but not with a REAL amout of data, or ever tried to do a
	SET FILTER on a database with 3'000 records in it (I mean, it is not
	a lot, don't forget!!) & the damned thing doesn't give you a real
	abstraction of a database (standard case: a report searching something
	with a index, nice !! When the user comes to you & says: OK, let's me
	do it with another attribute of the relation you say: Ehmm, ok, I
	have to do little bit programming & it will cost you a little bit of
	money & it will be probably running again ! In SQL you simply have to
	add another index to your relation !)

	The most important thing for me: The damned thing is not portable !!!
	All my customers see the nice, cheap Unix Workstations with a lot of
	power & an REAL file system (not the FAT, greasy DOS thing) & asks
	me: When can I have my application there ?? My answer is: Never, unless
	you pay a lot of money, so we can throw your Clipper-Stuff away & do
	it with Informix!! Don't forget: The PC is not a solution, it's more
	of an weekend-hack being very sucessful & the real systems are yet to
	come !! So go over these things again to find your decission or do
	it my way: I'm just implementing the Clipper Stuff under UNIX since
	a couple of months (it' not easy, the macro stuff doesn't even really
	match a YACC specification [I mean, Clipper's not a language anyway,
	it's more a dialect]) !!!  ;-)

						Tony

tleylan@pegasus.com (Tom Leylan) (03/06/91)

In article <26689@neptune.inf.ethz.ch> aprzygie@iiic.ethz.ch (Antoni Bronislaw Przygienda) writes:
>In article <23102@hydra.gatech.EDU> jgb@prism.gatech.EDU (James G. Baker) writes:
>	1) clipper is limited too !!!! Don't forget: it is NOT a database
>	   server, it has more of a FILE SYSTEM in it. If you don't believe
>	   it, just try to open some databases with a lot of indices &
>	   some relation to (which you can only do for FIELDS with the same

>	2) The memory of this beast is a really nasty problem ! Why ? YOu

>	3) Ever tried to power the beast down when it works on his databases.

>	Yes, but not with a REAL amout of data, or ever tried to do a
>	SET FILTER on a database with 3'000 records in it (I mean, it is not

Tony... no big deal but I think you're missing the power of Clipper.  Many
people agree with you on the limitations of the .DBF data format and so use
Clipper quite successfully with SQL, Btrieve and the Emerald Bay Engine.

These things will be even easier with 5.0 as Nantucket has separated the
database component from the language component.  Among the database drivers
that Nantucket will produce is one for Paradox, SQL Server, SQLbase and
(I forget the other one).

There are bugs in the first release of Clipper 5.0 but the fix disk is in
beta test at the moment.  Among the incredible things one can do with 5.0
today is allocate a 10 MB "ragged" array (an element of an array can be
another array) on a machine with 1 MB of memory.  The Virtual Memory Manager
takes care of everything.

In any case, the memory usage is the lowest of any "dBase" style language
if you consider that dBASE and FoxPro have to load an interpreter.  As for
corruption of indexes when the system powers down you ought to see what
happens when you do it in the middle of a hard disk format (you aren't
suggesting Clipper ought to intercept somebody flipping the power switch
and demanding that DOS flush it's buffers are you) ?

BTW, I don't think anybody uses SET FILTER, it isn't intended to speed up
searches, records are masked out but there is no way that the system can
determine whether a record 3000 records away is going to match until it
gets there., the file isn't physically smaller.

In any case, you don't have to like Clipper, many of us do...

tom leylan
(former senior systems analyst - Nantucket Corporation)

aprzygie@iiic.ethz.ch (Antoni Bronislaw Przygienda) (03/08/91)

In article <1991Mar6.094706.17470@pegasus.com> tleylan@pegasus.com (Tom Leylan) writes:
>>	1) clipper is limited too !!!! Don't forget: it is NOT a database
>>	   server, it has more of a FILE SYSTEM in it. If you don't believe
>>	   it, just try to open some databases with a lot of indices &
>>	   some relation to (which you can only do for FIELDS with the same
>
>>	2) The memory of this beast is a really nasty problem ! Why ? YOu
>
>>	3) Ever tried to power the beast down when it works on his databases.
>
>>	Yes, but not with a REAL amout of data, or ever tried to do a
>>	SET FILTER on a database with 3'000 records in it (I mean, it is not
>>
>Tony... no big deal but I think you're missing the power of Clipper.  Many
>people agree with you on the limitations of the .DBF data format and so use
>Clipper quite successfully with SQL, Btrieve and the Emerald Bay Engine.

OK, it's true !! I was in a quite 'flammy' mode the evening I wrote this !!
I agree with you: on this limitated, toy-like DOS-tins Clipper is probably
the best Database (EVEN 4GL TOOL) you can get, which doesn't use 16MB of
memory & a 586 40Mhz powered 50'000$ super-DOS machine !! I have made my money
for 2 years now with Clipper & wrote several application I think even you
guys at Nantucket would shake you heads seeing that !! But you know, I work
a lot with Unix/VM/VMS stuff & the things are nicer than Clipper is ! So
I try to warn some people with perhaps the need for a really big machine with
a really powerful DATABASE having recommended clipper by a couple of hackers
having no idea about database stuff !

>These things will be even easier with 5.0 as Nantucket has separated the
>database component from the language component.  Among the database drivers
>that Nantucket will produce is one for Paradox, SQL Server, SQLbase and
>(I forget the other one).

OK, I studied the whole documentation that came with Clipper 5.0 to my
company & found nothing, really nothing, not a single word of description
of this feature I was really greedy to get my little fingers on (OCELOT &
a couple of other things are waiting !!!). Give me the hint where I can
find the stuff or otherwise don't make me greedier !!

>There are bugs in the first release of Clipper 5.0 but the fix disk is in
>beta test at the moment.  Among the incredible things one can do with 5.0
>today is allocate a 10 MB "ragged" array (an element of an array can be
>another array) on a machine with 1 MB of memory.  The Virtual Memory Manager
>takes care of everything.

OK, just look at Unix with paging & swapping. I think, Nantucket will need
a couple of years to do something similar.

About fixes: Why not do it the first time right ? We all saw the same story
   with the Summer release of clipper. The fixes came also a couple of months
   later, but till then my hair got a little bit more gray.

>In any case, the memory usage is the lowest of any "dBase" style language
>if you consider that dBASE and FoxPro have to load an interpreter.  As for
>corruption of indexes when the system powers down you ought to see what
>happens when you do it in the middle of a hard disk format (you aren't
>suggesting Clipper ought to intercept somebody flipping the power switch
>and demanding that DOS flush it's buffers are you) ?

I never tried to compare Clipper to DBASE. DBASE is a HEAP OF JUNK & I used
it exactly once & never again! I know, it's a joke, DOS allows everyone to
format the harddisk, it's not a operating system, it's a floppy utility
(named quite right DOS !!)

>BTW, I don't think anybody uses SET FILTER, it isn't intended to speed up
>searches, records are masked out but there is no way that the system can
>determine whether a record 3000 records away is going to match until it
>gets there., the file isn't physically smaller.

Yes, I agree, but I suppose you read some theory about database design too
& know there are better ways to implement such features !!

>In any case, you don't have to like Clipper, many of us do...
>
>tom leylan
>(former senior systems analyst - Nantucket Corporation)

OK, I'm sorry, don't take it personally !! I like this beast, too !! It's
small, fast !!, saves you a lot of time & doesn't take to much power away !!
And of course, it's rather cheap compared to all this Informix & Oracle
guys boasting about their 'heterogenous-net-database-servers' & demanding
$1000 runtime fee for every installation with the smallest version !!

Guys, I think, clipper won't be the best database known in history, but it
was quite useful for a couple of years on this damned DOS machines & brought
you a lot of money, for sure !! Last question: Why don't you take this stuff
to Unix ??! It's not that difficult. Or otherwise we can talk about the
version I'm writing now !!

						Tony

jgb@prism.gatech.EDU (James G. Baker) (03/08/91)

In article <26870@neptune.inf.ethz.ch> aprzygie@iiic.ethz.ch (Antoni Bronislaw Przygienda) writes:
>OK, it's true !! I was in a quite 'flammy' mode the evening I wrote this !!
>I agree with you: on this limitated, toy-like DOS-tins Clipper is probably
>the best Database...
>I try to warn some people with perhaps the need for a really big machine with
>a really powerful DATABASE having recommended clipper by a couple of hackers
>having no idea about database stuff !

Settle down.  No one was offending Unix.  But Clipper and DOS are making
the "big guys" think about what kind of performance/price that users want.
*No* one can say that the PC and DOS were *not* the building blocks for the
microcomputer revolution of the past 10 years.  I tire of people who stop
*listening* when DOS is mentioned.  Its a matter of the right tool for the
right job.  If:
	the interface is important
	database files < 10 MB ish
	time to get system *working* is ASAP
	users < 50 ish
then Clipper/Novell could be the right tool.   How many real estate offices
want some raised-floor put in for the VAX machine room?

BTW, the hacker comment won't affect my current MS in Computer Science program.

>About fixes: Why not do it the first time right ? We all saw the same story
>   with the Summer release of clipper. The fixes came also a couple of months
>   later, but till then my hair got a little bit more gray.

Your Unix OS / applications never needed any bug fixes?  Impressive.

>I never tried to compare Clipper to DBASE. DBASE is a HEAP OF JUNK & I used
>it exactly once & never again! I know, it's a joke, DOS allows everyone to
>format the harddisk, it's not a operating system, it's a floppy utility
>(named quite right DOS !!)

You may not like it, but dBase *set the standard* for PC databases many
moons ago.  Its not used as much at run-time but every Clipper programmer
has it to bring things up *fast*.  (Like the B-52 was used instead of the
B-1b: its been around and its capabilities/problems are known exactly.)

Agreed.
DOS does ask "Are you sure?"  Does "rm -r /*.*"?  I think it is also
quite something when NORTON UTILITIES are ported to SysV!

Every CS undergrad boasts that Unix is the only real OS.  They get offended
by DOS. (It was undoubtedly a DOS machine that got their interest in the
first place.) Maybe its my Engineering background, but people *out there*
want to it work too -and soon.  They could care less that its beautiful
and lovely and all that because they've heard it before and know to
duck for cover.

--

tleylan@pegasus.com (Tom Leylan) (03/08/91)

>you a lot of money, for sure !! Last question: Why don't you take this stuff
>to Unix ??! It's not that difficult. Or otherwise we can talk about the
>version I'm writing now !!

Tony,  Most people don't know about it but there was a version of Clipper
running under UNIX about 4 years ago.  It was announced and demonstrated
at Comdex, Fall (in Las Vegas).  It was never released however.

Many people ask about a Unix version but it takes more than a port of the
code to make money.  Support becomes a big issue.  They way I explain it
is that it doesn't do anyone any good to be known as the "worst" DBMS
running under Unix.  So if one can't be near the top, the money is better
invested on a platform one understands.  I can't speak for Nantucket but
I imagine ROI (return on investment) is one of the guiding reasons to
not jump on Unix at this point.  There is a limited amount of resources
and one looks for the place where the most money is to be made given
one's expertise.

You're in Zurich right ?  There is at least one hotel in Zurich running
their entire operation on a Clipper app.  A company in Munich wrote it
(I worked there for a while).  It monitors the phone system and logs
calls, basically everything from check in to check out.

Clipper is by no means perfect but the Extend System (permitting the
relatively seamless integration of C and assembler) makes it pretty
handy.

As for information on the RDD (replaceable database drivers) you should
contact Nantucket directly.  You have a choice of their office in Cologne
Germany or in London, England.

later...

tom

tleylan@pegasus.com (Tom Leylan) (03/09/91)

In article <23838@hydra.gatech.EDU> jgb@prism.gatech.EDU (James G. Baker) writes:

>You may not like it, but dBase *set the standard* for PC databases many
>moons ago.  Its not used as much at run-time but every Clipper programmer
>has it to bring things up *fast*.

Oh James... just had to set this one straight.  Most Clipper programmers
won't let dBASE on their computers.  Seriously nothing I write could run
in dBASE any longer, don't even have it on my machine for interactive
querying of .DBF files.  A shareware product called Pocket Dot is a very
good alternative which can recognize the .NTX format as well as all the
Clipper functions.

The coolest thing I've seen lately is dClip by Roger Donnay which permits
interactive use of just about anything you can throw at it including
functions from all the third-party libraries.

I just got back from the Australian Clipper DevCon and Roger was there
interactively running code blocks and all sorts of stuff.

tom