[net.unix-wizards] Off-loading processes to an idle machine

menges@unc.UUCP (John Menges) (03/21/85)

I'm studying the problem of attempting to off-load
non-interactive processes from one machine intended
to be used primarily for interactive work for many
users to another machine intended to run non-interactive
tasks.  (Both machines are VAX/780s running 4.2bsd)
I'm interested in any work that has been done in this
area.  In particular, I would like to find or write
software to enable the transfer of files to the backend
machine, execution of a command script there, and
transfer of files back to the interactive machine,
without it being necessary for the user to have a login
on the backend machine.  Less general software that
performs this task for specific commands (e.g. troff)
would also be helpful.

dcmartin@ucbvax.ARPA (David C. Martin) (03/23/85)

In article <248@unc.UUCP> menges@unc.UUCP (John Menges) writes:
>I'm studying the problem of attempting to off-load
>non-interactive processes from one machine intended
>to be used primarily for interactive work for many
>users to another machine intended to run non-interactive
>tasks.  (Both machines are VAX/780s running 4.2bsd)
>I'm interested in any work that has been done in this
>area.  In particular, I would like to find or write
>software to enable the transfer of files to the backend
>machine, execution of a command script there, and
>transfer of files back to the interactive machine,
>without it being necessary for the user to have a login
>on the backend machine.  Less general software that
>performs this task for specific commands (e.g. troff)
>would also be helpful.

Here at Berkeley we are running some code that sends remote Pascal and
C compilations to idle 750's via the ethernet.  So far we have found
that the five 11/750's being used a process servers have not had
their performance markedly decreased, while the loads on the senders
has remarkably decreased (from an average of about 9-10 to about 3-4).
If you would like, mail me and I will see about getting you a copy of
the research proposal and reports.

David C. Martin
--------
Computer Systems Support Group
arpa: dcmartin@berkeley                       usps: 237 Cory Hall
uucp: ..!ucbvax!dcmartin                            Berkeley, CA 94720
at&t: 415/642-9489

mark@tove.UUCP (Mark Weiser) (03/24/85)

In article <5714@ucbvax.ARPA> dcmartin@ucbvax.UUCP (David C. Martin) writes:
>In article <248@unc.UUCP> menges@unc.UUCP (John Menges) writes:
>>I'm studying the problem of attempting to off-load
>>non-interactive processes from one machine intended
>>to be used primarily for interactive work for many
>>users to another machine intended to run non-interactive jobs.

We do this routinely at Maryland for troff's.  When the load goes
above a certain level all troff's on the high load machine are shipped
for remote execution to one of several machines (depending on which is up).
Generally, the users don't know the difference.  Steve@Maryland,
who wrote most of the code, can say more.
	-mark
--
Spoken: Mark Weiser 	ARPA:	mark@maryland	Phone: +1-301-454-7817
CSNet:	mark@umcp-cs 	UUCP:	{seismo,allegra}!umcp-cs!mark