[comp.databases] D:Base Import

re4@prism.gatech.EDU (RUSSELL EARNEST) (03/05/91)

 need some quick help.

I've been asked to put together a quick and dirty D:Base application.

The data I need was exported from Mac Excel. I got it to my IBM hard drive.

When I try to use Import i'm told that it's not PSF file. Well, no it's not.

The manual does not mention any other 'TYPE' options on the command.

This is DOS 4.0 w/Dbase + III.

Is there any way to make this transfer?

--
There's no such thing as a free lunch but you can get two for one with a coupon.
 - RUSSELL EARNEST     Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta Georgia, 30332

pew@cs.brown.edu (Peter E. Wagner) (03/05/91)

In article <23378@hydra.gatech.EDU>, re4@prism.gatech.EDU (RUSSELL EARNEST) writes:

|>  need some quick help.
|>
|> I've been asked to put together a quick and dirty D:Base application.
|>
|> The data I need was exported from Mac Excel. I got it to my IBM hard drive.
|>
|> When I try to use Import i'm told that it's not PSF file. Well, no it's not.
|>
|> The manual does not mention any other 'TYPE' options on the command.
|>
|> This is DOS 4.0 w/Dbase + III.
|>
|> Is there any way to make this transfer?

dBase can be pretty braindead when it comes to importing.  You
probably need to export from Excel in either a dBase format or in
ASCII.  I don't know what Excel supports. If you do the first you
should be all set.  If you do the ASCII, you will have to create an
appropriate data structure in dBase for your data, then USE the file
you've created and do "append from <excel export file name> sdf" where
sdf stands for Standard Delimited File.  Good Luck.

    Peter

rick@wet.UUCP (Rick Rutledge) (03/09/91)

re4@prism.gatech.EDU (RUSSELL EARNEST) writes:

>I've been asked to put together a quick and dirty D:Base application.
>The data I need was exported from Mac Excel. I got it to my IBM hard drive.
>When I try to use Import i'm told that it's not PSF file. Well, no it's not.
>This is DOS 4.0 w/Dbase + III.
>Is there any way to make this transfer?

Sure.  If you have PC excel, you can take the file directly from Mac Excel
to PC Excel, and save it directly as a Dbase file.  I'm not sure, off the
top of my head whether Mac Excel lets you save in Dbase format or not.

Rick Rutledge        {hoptoad|ucsfcca|claris}!wet!rick            rick@wet.UUCP
Since wars begin in the minds of men, it is in the minds of men that the
defences of peace must be constructed. (Preamble to the constitution of UNESCO)

FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) (03/13/91)

If your program doesn't save a file in dBase format (.dbf) then have it
save in 'delimited ASCII' format and you can import it using the
'APPEND FROM' command.  Type will be either SDF (for files with every
record ending in <CR><LF>, every record (line) the same length. Or
type will be DELIMITED where commas go between every field and strings
are surrounded with quotes.  You can't import header information this
way so you must have an empty file to put the data into.

The point is that you can't use the 'IMPORT' command to do this.

Dana Bourgeois @ cup.portal.com

re4@prism.gatech.EDU (RUSSELL EARNEST) (03/20/91)

Thabks to all who posted or mailed suggestions.

The solution? The project was changed. They decided to have the users put
in their own info. instead of loading it in.

I'm keeping the responces though. This will come up again (and again and again).