[comp.databases] Yo! Ashton-Tate ***

wlb@progress.COM (Warren Bare) (02/15/91)

awd@dbase.A-T.COM (Alastair Dallas) writes:
[...]
Commercial message deleted
[...]
>Disclaimer> This blatant commercial message was brought to you by me.

Dear Alastair et al at Ashton-Tate:

We recently did a survey in comp.d about how net users feel about posting
this stuff on the net.  As a matter of fact I posted the original call for
opinions because I was seeing several posts from Ashton-Tate along these
lines.  The basic fact is that if everybody who has good products answered
each call with a post, this group would get out of hand.  Please read the
following post which appeared a few weeks ago...

>Summary of Question:
>
>How do you feel about 4GL/database vendors answering the question
>"Who has a so and so that can do this..." in comp.databases as
>opposed to mailing to the original poster.
>
>Results:
>
>Not surprisingly, the majority of the database users liked to see
>the responses in c.d.  On the other hand, the actual vendors did
>not want to see bandwidth used on "I can do this, and I can do this,
>and I can do this...".  Overall the "don't post it" group had more
>votes.
>
>It seems the general thrust of the mail was that people should e-mail
>the original mailer does not say that s/he will post a summary and you
>want to see one then ask him/her to post a summary (you are probably not
>the only one who wants to see it).

Please also note that the original poster of the news you are replying to
DID say that a follow up to the e-mail would be posted.

If you think I am being unreasonable, please feel free to flame away at
my e-mail or send any kind of comments.

Thanks,
Warren
Opinions are my own - not those of Progress Software.
Warren L. Bare                         UUCP: mit-eddie!progress!wlb
Progress Software Corp.                Internet: wlb@progress.com
5 Oak Park                             FAX: 1 617 275 4595
Bedford, MA  01730

awd@dbase.A-T.COM (Alastair Dallas) (02/21/91)

Just catching up on my usenet, sorry I'm late on this.  Let me explain
in my defense:

	1) This issue came up a year or so ago and I was encouraged
	   then to ignore netiquette in order to continue support.
	   I worried that responding to questions about what can
	   dBASE IV do that dBASE III PLUS can't would be too much
	   like a commercial, and people at that time asked me to
	   speak publicly.

	2) Making email work for me is looking like too much trouble.
	   My sysop is swamped and every thing he tells me to try
	   bounces back to me.  I've got old friends looking me up
	   on email and I can't get back to them.  Not the net's
	   problem, I realize.

So, Yo!  I'll continue to post answers to questions (or news of
general interest) but I will refrain from commercial messages.  Please
don't ask such a question and request an email reply.

--
/alastair/

awd@dbase.A-T.COM	{ I think. }

awd@dbase.A-T.COM (Alastair Dallas) (03/22/91)

In article <1991Feb24.194549.2666@compu.com>, fr@compu.com (Fred Rump from home) writes:
> Is this how far the mighty A-T has fallen? Can't get e-mail to work?

Blow it out your ear, bozo.  I mean that in as nice a sense as possible.

/alastair/