[comp.databases] UNIFY 2000 ACCELL

rapunzel@guug.guug.de (Peter Eckhardt) (03/27/91)

I am looking for people working with UNIFY 2000 or ACCELL/SQL
( both from Unify Corp. ) to share sources and to talk
about problems.
Any contacts ARE VERY APPRECIATED.

 Has anyone tried to deny access to a UNIFY 2000 database on
shell level. Removing read and write permissions on the
database files does not work. It seems that not only the
database daemons but also the application programs (owned
by different user ids ) would access the database files.
The German UNIFY stuff told me there would be no possibility
to protect the database on shell level. The only solution
would be not to permit access on a shell.
Poor.
Is there a solution ????

Thanks
Peter Eckhardt

meh@ufycorp.Unify.Com (Mark Hansen) (03/29/91)

In article <651@guug.guug.de> rapunzel@guug.guug.de (Peter Eckhardt) writes:
>I am looking for people working with UNIFY 2000 or ACCELL/SQL
>( both from Unify Corp. ) to share sources and to talk
>about problems.
>Any contacts ARE VERY APPRECIATED.

I would like to talk.

> Has anyone tried to deny access to a UNIFY 2000 database on
>shell level. Removing read and write permissions on the
>database files does not work. It seems that not only the
>database daemons but also the application programs (owned
>by different user ids ) would access the database files.
>The German UNIFY stuff told me there would be no possibility
>to protect the database on shell level. The only solution
>would be not to permit access on a shell.
>Poor.
>Is there a solution ????

The UNIFY 2000 Fundamentals manual goes through Database Security very
well. I suggest you read through Section 4. This should be very helpful.

>Thanks
>Peter Eckhardt

Mark E. Hansen                                     internet: meh@Unify.Com
Manager, Client Support Services            ...!{csusac,pyramid}!unify!meh
Unify Corporation                                    voice: (916) 928-6433
3901 Lennane Drive, Sacramento, CA 95834-1922          fax: (916) 928-6403