[comp.databases] FOXPRO export to WORDPERFECT under XENIX

rhg@NCoast.ORG (Rich Garrett) (03/30/91)

We are running SCO Xenix with FOXPRO and WORDPERFECT.  My simple question
concerns the easy transfer of information between FOXPRO into a WORDPERFECT
merge format for mass mailing of letters and free form reports.

Does anyone have a utility or suggestions as how to do this easily.  Actually,
an example would really save me a lot of headaches.

We are in the process of using FOXBASE for a marketing database and need to
get a lot of functionally in a short period of time.

Thank you!

Rich Garrett

--

Richard H. Garrett                                           rhg@ncoast.ORG
NCoast Public Access UN*X - (216) 582-2460, 1200/2400 baud, login: makeuser

kreed@telesys.cts.com (Kevin W. Reed) (03/31/91)

rhg@NCoast.ORG (Rich Garrett) writes:
>We are running SCO Xenix with FOXPRO and WORDPERFECT.  My simple question
>concerns the easy transfer of information between FOXPRO into a WORDPERFECT
>merge format for mass mailing of letters and free form reports.

>Does anyone have a utility or suggestions as how to do this easily.
>Actually, an example would really save me a lot of headaches.

>We are in the process of using FOXBASE for a marketing database and need to
>get a lot of functionally in a short period of time.

>Thank you!
>Rich Garrett

I assume you are using SCO FoxBASE+ and not FOXPRO since I don't think
FOXPRO has been released in Xenix format yet.

This is a bit from memory, but should be close enough to get you going.

What you need to do is create an ascii file that Wordperfect will read.
Each field in the record is ended with a ^R and the last field with
a ^E.  So all you need to do is print out the records in that format

To set the printer output to a file instead of a printer use:

	SET PRINTER TO "cat > filename"
	SET PRINT ON

To print the records ( CHR(18)=^R  CHR(5)=^E )

	? TRIM(company) + CHR(18)
	? TRIM(contact) + CHR(18)
	? TRIM(address) + CHR(18)
	? TRIM(city) + CHR(18)
	? TRIM(state) + CHR(18)
	? TRIM(zip) + CHR(18)
	? TRIM(phone) + CHR(18)
	? CHR(5)

When you have exported all you want end with:

	SET PRINT OFF

That will flush the printer buffer to the file.  Then use wordperfect's
merge routines to get the information from the merge file you created.

>--
>Richard H. Garrett                                           rhg@ncoast.ORG
>NCoast Public Access UN*X - (216) 582-2460, 1200/2400 baud, login: makeuser

--
Kevin W. Reed      TeleSys Development Systems   San Diego, CA USA
{nosc,ucsd}!crash!telesys!kreed              kreed@telesys.cts.com

emanuele@overlf.UUCP (Mark A. Emanuele) (04/01/91)

where does one get FOXPRO for SCO UNIX ?
SCO said the best they could do was FoxBsae +.

Thanks in advance.

--
Mark A. Emanuele
V.P. Engineering  Overleaf, Inc.