[comp.databases] Help: Clipper linker information needed soon

haverlan@tramp.colorado.edu (HAVERLAND MARC BRADLEY) (03/27/91)

I need a replacement linker for Clipper Summer '87.  Clipper 5.0 is giving
me "internal errors," (and I'm not using any 5.0 specific things, so that's
not a problem).  I understand either Alink, Blink, or Warplink provides
dynamic overlay functions for Summer '87.  If so, I need one of the above
yesterday.  If not, I need suggestions.

Any info, experiences, etc. you can provide is welcome.  Especially phone
numbers for the companies.

Thanks for your help, hope to hear from you soon.

Marc Haverland		haverlan@tramp.colorado.edu	303-650-1100

jgb@prism.gatech.EDU (James G. Baker) (03/28/91)

In article <1991Mar27.051659.12850@colorado.edu> haverlan@tramp.colorado.edu (HAVERLAND MARC BRADLEY) writes:
>I need a replacement linker for Clipper Summer '87.  Clipper 5.0 is giving
>me "internal errors," (and I'm not using any 5.0 specific things, so that's
>not a problem).

I have run into the INTERNAL errors many times.  After talking to Nantucket,
they tell me that Tech Support doesn't even know what they are.  Apparently,
the should never happen to the end user.  Their usual reponse is: "While
you were indexing?  Hmmm...  Did you have a relation set?  No?  Hmmm.. Try
rebuilding the database with the new DBU."  I don't mean to get on their
case becuase Clipper 5.0 is *huge* (I surely wouldn't want to debug it!),
but the INTERNAL errors definitely are 5.0 related.  Most often ones
have to do with INDEXes, RELATIONs, and the VMM undoubtedly.

One note I thought I would mention:  One Tech support person said the 5.0
.dbf files are not *exactly* the same as S'87.  This can cause indexing
problems (it did for me).  Actually create the .dbf from scratch using
DBU 5.0 (don't copy from, etc).

Let me know what INTERNAL errors you get and we'll see if we can track them
down.

--
BAKER,JAMES G - Undergraduate Lab Instructor, School of Electrical Engineering
____  _    _    Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta Georgia, 30332
(_|. |_). |_).  Internet: jgb@prism.gatech.edu

tleylan@pegasus.com (Tom Leylan) (04/01/91)

In article <25097@hydra.gatech.EDU> jgb@prism.gatech.EDU (James G. Baker) writes:
>In article <1991Mar27.051659.12850@colorado.edu> haverlan@tramp.colorado.edu (HAVERLAND MARC BRADLEY) writes:
>>I need a replacement linker for Clipper Summer '87.  Clipper 5.0 is giving
>>me "internal errors," (and I'm not using any 5.0 specific things, so that's
>>not a problem).

 ... stuff deleted ...

>One note I thought I would mention:  One Tech support person said the 5.0
>.dbf files are not *exactly* the same as S'87.  This can cause indexing
>problems (it did for me).  Actually create the .dbf from scratch using
>DBU 5.0 (don't copy from, etc).

This appears to have changed subjects so I'll try address them both.

Linkers:

 Blinker is available from Blink, Inc., P.O. Box 7154, Richmond, VA  23221
                           (804) 355-4444

 Warplink is available from hyperkinetix, inc., 615 No. Poplar Avenue
                            Orange, CA  92667
                            (714) 935-0823

hyperkinetix address and phone are new starting April 1st.

(if you call either, tell them Tom Leylan sent you)

I don't know who publishes ALINK these days but I know the people who
produced it originally... in fact I'll be seeing him in South Africa next
week.

Now re: internal errors in 5.0.  There are bugs in 5.0 that are causing
errors to occur which should not be occurring.  The tech support people
don't know because there is no reason to explain how the VMM system operates
and the consequences of null pointers.  There isn't anything anyone can do
to stop an internal error since they aren't supposed to be happening.

The fix disk is due any time now and virtually all bugs have been fixed, I
have tested it extensively and can't get it to crash.  Straight S'87 code,
mixed with 5.0 and 5.0 alone.  C code mixed in, assembler mixed in, twist
it, shake it, slam it against the wall it isn't breaking any longer.

As far as I know (and I know a considerable amount) there have been no mods
to the .DBF structure and if anybody has a name as to at Nantucket said so
I'll have it followed up.

I'll be speaking at the June Developer's Conference in Palm Desert on
converting from S'87 to 5.0.  If anyone is considering attending, look me
up.

tom leylan
(ex-Senior Systems Analyst / Nantucket Corp.)