[comp.databases] moving to unix from DOS dBase

hajadi@goofy.csd.sgi.com (Ivan Hajadi) (03/30/91)

My friend's company plans to move from DOS to unix system.  The initial
unix system will be 386 running SCO or Interactive unix, later on they
will buy sparc based unix systems.

The current applications mostly written in dBase III+.  They know
dBase IV unix version, but they would like to know whether other dBase
tools such as Clipper also available on unix platforms.

At this point, they don't think moving to oracle or sybase is possible,
but they would like to know other's experience when moving from dos to
unix database.

Thanks.

--
    Ivan M. Hajadi,  GUI junky
    hajadi@csd.sgi.com

jmp@sfs.uucp (John Pearce) (04/01/91)

In article <1991Mar29.202515.26357@odin.corp.sgi.com> hajadi@goofy.csd.sgi.com (Ivan Hajadi) writes:

>but they would like to know other's experience when moving from dos to
>unix database.

We moved a dBase III+ accounting system to SCO Foxbase+ and were very
pleased with the results.  You do have to spend considerable time making
changes in printer destinations and otherwise allowing for the differences
between DOS and Xenix, but it was _much_ easier than getting an entirely new
accounting system.

John M. Pearce +++ Suncoast Fire and Safety Equipment, Inc. +++ Sarasota, FL
jmp@sfs               (813) 955-2202  Fax (813) 954-4213       uunet!sfs!jmp

pew@cs.brown.edu (Peter E. Wagner) (04/01/91)

In article <1991Mar29.202515.26357@odin.corp.sgi.com>, hajadi@goofy.csd.sgi.com (Ivan Hajadi) writes:

|> My friend's company plans to move from DOS to unix system.  The initial
|> unix system will be 386 running SCO or Interactive unix, later on they
|> will buy sparc based unix systems.
|>
|> The current applications mostly written in dBase III+.  They know
|> dBase IV unix version, but they would like to know whether other dBase
|> tools such as Clipper also available on unix platforms.
|>
|> At this point, they don't think moving to oracle or sybase is possible,
|> but they would like to know other's experience when moving from dos to
|> unix database.

SCO has Foxbase for Unix.  I believe they are working on FoxPro for
Unix.  Foxbase is 100% compatible with dBase III+.  I'm sure you would
be very happy with this switch.

    Peter

Peter E. Wagner                                 pew@cs.brown.edu
Department Computer Science