[comp.databases] Dbfast

mkim@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Owen) (03/19/91)

Can anyone tell me what dbfast is and how it is related to dbase
III+ ?  All I know about dbfast is that it interprets dbase programs
faster.  Please help!  Thanks in advance for your help.

Mike
mkim@ucsd.edu
ec125waf.issci1.ucsd.edu

pew@cs.brown.edu (Peter E. Wagner) (03/19/91)

In article <17607@sdcc6.ucsd.edu>, mkim@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Owen) writes:
|> Can anyone tell me what dbfast is and how it is related to dbase
|> III+ ?  All I know about dbfast is that it interprets dbase programs
|> faster.  Please help!  Thanks in advance for your help.

Sounds like you're looking for a faster dBase.  Check out Foxbase or
FoxPro from Fox Software.  You will never look back.  I didn't.  These
products run *many* times faster than dBase.

Peter E. Wagner                                 pew@cs.brown.edu
Department Computer Science
Brown University

tomr@dbase.A-T.COM (Tom Rombouts) (04/02/91)

In article <17607@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> mkim@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Owen) writes:
>Can anyone tell me what dbfast is and how it is related to dbase
>III+ ?  All I know about dbfast is that it interprets dbase programs
>faster.  Please help!  Thanks in advance for your help.

Years ago, dbFAST was promoted as a Clipper-like product in a series
of impressive advertisements.  It never really appeared then, leading
to a nickname of "db last".

However, about two years later it re-emereged as a product for
Microsoft Windows.  It can produce either interpreted or .EXE files,
but if you think Clipper .EXEs seem too large, wait until you
see some of the 400K+ demos that come with it.  (This is less of
a factor under Windows, however)  I think its most notable feature
is adding some keywords something like "RADIOBUTTON" "SCROLL BAR"
etc to add Windows/OS/2 like menus directly to its dBASE-like
language.

It is sold by Bumblebee Software.  I think they are in CO, but
don't quote me.

For the record, Ashton-Tate is committed to a Windows version
of dBASE IV.  (I believe it was even demo'ed during the recent
DB/Expo)  This would offer you another Windows solution from
an established company with products on many platforms.

Tom Rombouts  Torrance 'Tater  tomr@ashtate.A-T.com

tomr@dbase.A-T.COM (Tom Rombouts) (04/02/91)

A brief correction to my eariler post:

dBFast is now sold by genSoft in Bellevue, WA.  List price of dBFast
for Windows is $495.  Their phone number is (206)562-1157.  I don't
know if it was sold or if Bumblebee went out of business.

(FLAME ON:  I am sick of all these mixed-case company and product
names!  Reminds me of the girl named "SanDee*" in L.A. Story!
FLAME OFF)

Tom Rombouts  Torrance 'Tater  tomr@ashtate.A-T.com