[comp.databases] Large database installations?

sig@europa.asd.contel.com.asd.contel.com (Sigurd P. Crossland - Contel WTP 2214N 703-818-4202) (04/04/91)

In pursuing a government solicitation (AFCAC Project 305 - Database Machines),
I am trying to relocate references for large installed databases.  If you have
specific knowledge of such, please either reply directly to my E-Mail address
or to this newsgroup and I will try to compile and publish the responses.

Information of particular interesting:

1) The total amount of direct access disk storage (bytes) available on the
   system.

2) The amount of direct access disk storage allocated to the DBMS.

3) The database management system in use at the time.

4) Type of information stored in the database.

5) Nature of usage (query only, OLTP, etc.)

6) The name of the company or agency.

Sigurd P. Crossland                                Contel Federal Systems
Principal Engineer                                 FSS/GSY/SWE WTP-2214N
Internet: sig@europa.asd.contel.com                15000 Conference Center Dr.
Telephone: (703) 818-4202                          Chantilly, VA  22021

rap@hare.cdc.com (Rob Peters) (04/06/91)

In article <910304.085457.sig@SCrossland> sig@europa.asd.contel.com.asd.contel.com (Sigurd P. Crossland - Contel WTP 2214N 703-818-4202) writes:

> In pursuing a government solicitation (AFCAC Project 305 - Database Machines),
> I am trying to relocate references for large installed databases.  If you have
> specific knowledge of such, please either reply directly to my E-Mail address
> or to this newsgroup and I will try to compile and publish the responses.
>
> Information of particular interesting:
>
> 1) The total amount of direct access disk storage (bytes) available on the
>    system.
>
> 2) The amount of direct access disk storage allocated to the DBMS.
>
> 3) The database management system in use at the time.
>
> 4) Type of information stored in the database.
>
> 5) Nature of usage (query only, OLTP, etc.)
>
> 6) The name of the company or agency.

Control Data has several large database customers that might meet your
needs.  One is the population system for the Ministry of the Interior
in Thailand (MOI).  All 65 million Thai citizens are in the system along
with household registration data.  Other sorts of demographic information
is also included in the rdbms.

The single dual cpu system that supports this system is configured with
about 65GB of disk, of which the database uses about 20GB.

The RDBMS product used in named IM/DM, a Control Data name given to the
BASISplus product developed at Battelle Labs and now marketed by
Information Dimensions Inc.

Access to the RDBMS is via 300 on-line terminals that do both query and
update.  Graphic (pictures) are also stored in the database.

If you would like more information on this large database or other
Control Data (large) dbms users, please contact me.

Rob Peters                         Phone (612)853-7025
Benchmark and Demonstration Lab    internet peters@dsr.cpg.cdc.com
Control Data Corp.