[comp.databases] CLIPPER 5.0 BC++ compatibility

marwk@levels.sait.edu.au (04/04/91)

I have just upgraded to CLIPPER 5.0 and I am impressed!

It has certainly grown up.

However ...

I want to use BORLAND C++ 2.0 in conjunction with CLIPPER.
This precludes the use of floating point arithmetic.  For that I have to
use Microslop C - why is it necessary for me to purchase another package when
for all other puposes my current C development system is more than adequate?

Since linking with CLIPPER.LIB is the main problem wouldn't it be possible to
place the BC++ library before the CLIPPER library when linking so that the
references are resolved in the BC++ library?  After all it is the code in BC++
library that would be executing the code?

Is Nantucket planning to improve its product to cater for BORLAND supporters?

Is BORLAND planning to add MSC floating point capability?

If one has a floating point coprocessor is this still a problem?

Thank you.
Ray Kennington

--
University of South Australia   | Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.
P.O. Box 1                      | Ghing thien me how, ming thien gung me how.

kevin@msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) (04/06/91)

marwk@levels.sait.edu.au writes:

[...]
>I want to use BORLAND C++ 2.0 in conjunction with CLIPPER.
>This precludes the use of floating point arithmetic.  For that I have to
>use Microslop C - why is it necessary for me to purchase another package when
>for all other puposes my current C development system is more than adequate?

>Since linking with CLIPPER.LIB is the main problem wouldn't it be possible to
>place the BC++ library before the CLIPPER library when linking so that the
>references are resolved in the BC++ library?  After all it is the code in BC++
>library that would be executing the code?

>Is Nantucket planning to improve its product to cater for BORLAND supporters?

>Is BORLAND planning to add MSC floating point capability?

Are you sure that Borland products are linkable AT ALL with .LIB?
I didn't think that this was possible.
--
Kevin Kleinfelter @ Dun and Bradstreet Software, Inc (404) 239-2347
...gatech!nanovx!msa3b!kevin