[comp.databases] Ingres system catalogs

bg0l+@andrew.cmu.edu (Bruce E. Golightly) (11/10/89)

I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to do. At any rate, relying on or
making reference to the system catalogs is not encouraged by Ingres Corp.
(aka Relational Technology). Having had some things go south because some
of our people did not follow this recommendation, I would strongly suggest
exploring alternatives.

Bruce

petter@fdmetd.uucp (Petter Henrik Hansen) (04/08/91)

I wish to update the ingres system catalogs directly without using
the standard Ingres interface (accessdb etc.). I have just 3 questions:

	1. Are the database going to be corrupted because of this?
	2. WHY in that case will the database be corrupted?
	3. Anyone out there that has tried this and failed/succeded?

Petter Henrik Hansen,  Fellesdata a.s, P.O. Box 248, 0212 OSLO 2, NORWAY
Phone : +47 2 52 84 02                            Fax   : +47 2 52 85 10
E-mail : ...!mcsun!nuug!fdmetd!petter   or       petter@fdmetd.uucp
<The opinions expressed, if any, do not represent Fellesdata a.s>

chesky@leland.Stanford.EDU (Snehylata Gupta) (04/09/91)

In article <773@fdmetd.uucp> petter@fdmetd.uucp (Petter Henrik Hansen) writes:
>I wish to update the ingres system catalogs directly without using
>the standard Ingres interface (accessdb etc.). I have just 3 questions:
>
>	1. Are the database going to be corrupted because of this?
>	2. WHY in that case will the database be corrupted?
>	3. Anyone out there that has tried this and failed/succeded?
>

>Petter Henrik Hansen,  Fellesdata a.s, P.O. Box 248, 0212 OSLO 2, NORWAY

Be extremely careful when you are updating the system catalogs directly
Sometimes you have no choice but to update system catalogs directly.
One way to make sure that database does not get corrupted is not use
use any wild cards or defaults.

Whether the database may get corrupted depends on what you are updating
in the system catalogs.

I have updated system catalogs a lot for example to change ownership
of objects in the database.

Sanjay

p.s. If you need specific info let me know