dhepner@hpcuhc.cup.hp.com (Dan Hepner) (04/02/91)

From: nick@tetrauk.UUCP (Nick Rumble)

>Does anyone know of any other RDBMSs that are currently
>or will soon be (next 12 months) XA compliant?

If you're looking for plug-n-play, you're a bit early.

There are three different definitions of what "XA compliant"
means.

1.  A de-facto standard set by Tuxedo/T
2.  The Preliminary Specification of XA, published by X/Open
3.  The Developer's Specification of XA, as yet unpublished by
    X/Open.

They aren't all the same.

It is unrealistic at this time to make too much of a claim that
certain RM products are described as "XA compliant".   The
only real informational content is that certain TM-RM combinations,
e.g.  Tuxedo/T - Informix,  are available.  It's also quite
possible to make use of Tuxedo/T - DBMS combinations which
have no utilization of the XA interface at all.

For newcomers, "XA" is a defined interface between "Transaction
Managers", and "Resource Managers", whereby the TM and RM
exchange information about global transactions, and implement
a two phase commit protocol allowing atomic completion of such
transactions over multiple machines / databases.

Could you be encouraged to explain to us the class of problem for
which you've found /T to be a valuable solution?

Dan Hepner

nick@tetrauk.UUCP (Nick Rumble) (04/03/91)

In article <2060010@hpcuhc.cup.hp.com> Dan Hepner writes :-

>The Developer's Specification of XA, as yet unpublished by
>    X/Open.

In fact, the Developer's Specification of XA is now available
through X/Open.

Dan goes on to say :-

>It's also quite possible to make use of Tuxedo/T - DBMS
>combinations which have no utilization of the XA interface at all.

True. But - and this is a *big* but, should one or more elements
within a distributed TP application fail for some reason, remote
transactions belonging to non-compliant DBMSs would remain in a
pre-committed state. Having no control over them, the TP monitor
could not instigate the necessary recovery (commit or abort)
procedures, leaving the DTP application in an inconsistent state.

Nick Rumble

bgolden@informix.com (Bernard Golden) (04/06/91)

In article <1125@tetrauk.UUCP> nick@tetrauk.UUCP (Nick Rumble) writes:

>In article <2060010@hpcuhc.cup.hp.com> Dan Hepner writes :-
>
>>The Developer's Specification of XA, as yet unpublished by
>>    X/Open.
>
>In fact, the Developer's Specification of XA is now available
>through X/Open.

The Developer's Specification is not available yet.  The Preliminary
Specification was released in April 1990.  The two are different.  The
Developer's Specification will incorporate comments made about the
Preliminary Specification by various interested parties.  The Developer's
Specification should be out late this year.

-b

dhepner@hpcuhc.cup.hp.com (Dan Hepner) (04/09/91)

From: nick@tetrauk.UUCP (Nick Rumble)

From: bgolden@informix.com (Bernard Golden)

>The Developer's Specification is not available yet.  The Preliminary
>Specification was released in April 1990.  The two are different.  The
>Developer's Specification will incorporate comments made about the
>Preliminary Specification by various interested parties.  The Developer's
>Specification should be out late this year.
>>
>>-b

The direct workings of the XTP working group are "X/Open confidential",
which means that detailed reports are made completely available to X/Open
members and associate members.  Both HP and Informix receive this
information.  Bernard and I are right, although no schedule has
been publicly committed to.

>>It's also quite possible to make use of Tuxedo/T - DBMS
>>combinations which have no utilization of the XA interface at all.
>
>True. But - and this is a *big* but, should one or more elements
>within a distributed TP application fail for some reason, remote
>transactions belonging to non-compliant DBMSs would remain in a
>pre-committed state. Having no control over them, the TP monitor
>could not instigate the necessary recovery (commit or abort)
>procedures, leaving the DTP application in an inconsistent state.
>
>Nick Rumble

This big but presumes that the reason you are using Tuxedo/T is
to do distributed transactions.  Others have found usages in
non-distributed environments.  For example, it may be possible to
put up a DMBS world which is much smaller than the number of
actual users; the DBMS sees a small number of very busy users,
as compared to a large number of relatively inactive users.  This
ends up being a real advantage for some configurations.

Dan Hepner