[comp.databases] Installing and Maintaining Oracle

chiu@brahms.amd.com (Timothy Chiu) (04/05/91)

I hope this is the right group for this, since there is no
comp.databases.admin

I recently had the [dis]pleasure of having to install Oracle
as a database on a group Sun-4 machines.  From the experience
I compiled a list of complaints, comments, etc. that I sent
to the folks at Oracle.  To date no response.  (Not even
an acknowledgement of receipt.)

I've installed Ingres previously and it was not nearly as brain-dead
or inflexible.  Are other database packages as difficult to
deal with?  Are my complaints valid or do database people just
accept these problems as given with database packages?

I installed v6.0.30 and my comments to Oracle follow.  As you
can tell my background is mostly as a systems administrator
and as a end user of databases.  This is only the second database
I've ever had to install.
Here is a list of the 13 major faults I have currently
encountered while installing ORACLE on a Sun 4/75.
While most of these issues can be resolved by reorganizing
the documentation and including more information in appropriate
places, it seems to me that the product has been rushed
through Quality control, and that there has been a lack
of planning in its implementation.  Some of these issues
alone are more than enough for the Systems Group to reject
a product for use in CTS (CAD Technology and Systems).
Please forward this list to whomever you deem appropriate.

	1) Documentation relating to different releases of
	   Sun OS is sketchy.  On page 1-7 two small scripts
	   are described, yet there are no instructions on
	   how to run them, where to run them, how they
	   should be executed, etc.  Also they are not
	   reiterated on page 3-24 where the step-by-step
	   installation is described.  There is also no
	   explanation as to what the scripts will actually
	   accomplish, e.g. what's the difference between
	   /usr/old/make and /usr/bin/make.

	2) Troubleshooting oracle.boot on page 3-23, neglects
	   to mention that the install script (in fact, all
	   oracle install scripts) require that your tape
	   drive be /dev/rst0.  It just happens that the
	   system I'm working with has the tape drive
	   as /dev/rst1.  I had to edit all the install
	   scripts by hand to make the install use /dev/rst1.
	   The scripts themselves also do not mention which
	   drive the tape needs to be in.

	3) There is no documentation on which order to install
	   the tapes.  I tried installing the patch after the
	   main tapes, but before the upgrade.  It didn't
	   work.  So I had to start from the beginning again.

	4) The oracle.patch scripts didn't work.  They expect
	   that openwindows exist in /home/openwin!  Sun
	   puts openwindows in /usr/openwin.  There was no
	   way to change this without physically editing
	   the scripts.  There is also no documentation
	   on troubleshooting this problem.  The error
	   messages were obscure, pointing to missing links
	   in compiling.

	5) The step-by-step installation instructions in
	   chapter 3 and 4 is incomplete.  It fails
	   to mention that for certain products you need to do
	   more than just run the script!  This is explained
	   in the individual chapters that follow, but there
	   is no easy way to tell which products need more
	   work and which are fully installed.  This is a true
	   hassle!  For products which require further setup
	   there should be one chapter going through all the
	   additional stuff.  Or there  should be a list
	   somewhere stating which products require further
	   installation procedures.

	6) Documentation on how to setup a client is sketchy and
	   and never explains the implications fully.  You are
	   told explicitly that NFS-mounting the partition is
	   a bad idea, yet that was the only simple reasonable
	   way to get a client up and running.  There should be
	   a separate install script for running on a client.
	   So currently on my system I have NFS-mounted the
	   entire ORACLE_HOME directory.  (This is the solution
	   provided by the Oracle Hotline.  Note that there are
	   many inherent dangers to this setup as described by
	   the manual for installation on page 2-43).  Also
	   it never states whether you need another ORACLE_SID
	   for a client, in fact it would lead one to believe
	   you do need a separate ORACLE_SID for each client,
	   when in fact that is not the case.

	7) The Database Administrator's manual is almost totally
	   worthless.  It should be a complete manual for the
	   administrator, yet it barely outlines what needs to
	   be done, and is more a general intro to database
	   administration.  For instance, commands to add users
	   are explained, but never is it explained, which tools
	   to use to add users (e.g. sqlplus or sqldba) and nowhere
	   does it say which database or the need to connect to
	   a database before issuing the commands.  It was
	   very easy to get the impression that sqldba automatically
	   connected you to the correct database, which is an
	   incorrect assumption.  Also there is practically no
	   troubleshooting tips in the DBA manual, which should
	   be the touchstone of the manual.  It's why most
	   DBA's would pick up the manual to begin with.

	8) For installation of CASE Designer and CASE Dictionary,
	   there is no easy way to implement the X functions.
	   On page 18-17 it describes having each user type
	   in these lengthy xmodmap, xset and xterm commands.
	   This is NOT acceptable.  Instead I have moved these commands
	   to a file sourced by the ~/.cshrc, but even that causes
	   problems since I need to be able to have them
	   executed only when openwindows has started.  At the
	   very least I have them limited to only when a person
	   is logged in on a sun.  But before openwindows starts
	   up each user gets three error messages.  There's got
	   to be a better way!

	9) Explanation on the syntax of the TWO_TASK driver is
	   extremely difficult to locate in the documentation.
	   Most areas just say to put one in and never explains how.
	   For example page 3-39 of the installation manual, does
	   this.  There should be a syntax description on that page.
	   Or at the very least a pointer to where the description
	   is located.

	10) oracle.patch is very misleading.  I thought I needed
	    to run oracle.patch to install the patch tape, but
	    the oracle.patch supplied with the source tape in
	    actuality serves no purpose whatsoever.  The patch
	    tape isn't even installed in the same place as
	    $ORACLE_HOME/install/patch, instead it locates itself
	    in $ORACLE_HOME/patch1.  This seems very disorganized
	    and there is an extreme lack of foresight in the
	    planning of patches!

	11) One of the readme documents states explicitly that
	    some of the products need to be installed in a
	    very specific order.  Nowhere does it say whether
	    a default installation, (e.g. doing just an
	    oracle.install, and saying yes to all products)
	    will do it in the correct order or not.  Based
	    on the documentation, I would think they are not
	    installed in the correct order.  If that is the case
	    then there seems to be no easy way to do a full
	    install.  What are the implications of doing a full
	    install, and installing these products in the wrong
	    order?

	12) The orasrv binary is setuid root!  It is commonly
	    accepted by the sysadmin community that setuid root
	    is a security breach and should be avoided whenever
	    possible.

	13) Oracle seems to rely much too heavily on setting
	    environment variables for the user.  Isn't there
	    a way around this?  Having 4 separate variables to
	    define which printer the user is going to use seems
	    outrageous, considering csh already has one called
	    PRINTER.  Why do you need CASE_SDPRINT, CASE_PS_CMD,
	    SDD_PRINT, and SDD_WPRINT?

--
Timothy Chiu        | "Some bookes are to bee tasted, others to bee swallowed,
chiu@brahms.amd.com | and some few to bee chewed and digested." -Francis Bacon

englhq@jetson.uh.edu (04/11/91)

In article <1991Apr4.220242.17770@amd.com>, chiu@brahms.amd.com
(Timothy Chiu) writes:

> I recently had the [dis]pleasure of having to install Oracle
> as a database on a group Sun-4 machines.  From the experience
> I compiled a list of complaints, comments, etc. that I sent
> to the folks at Oracle.  To date no response.  (Not even
> an acknowledgement of receipt.)

> .....it seems to me that the product has been rushed
> through Quality control, and that there has been a lack
> of planning in its implementation.

Ditto my experience exactly, down to the (ignored) list of comments.
I bought into the Oracle for Macintosh product, which comes complete
with local Oracle kernel, Hyper*Sql for building HyperCard front ends,
a C precompiler, and a bundle of problems as you work through glitches
in the documentation.

I should say, in all honesty, that Oracle provides spirited assistance
for the first thirty days, complete with a squadron of Tech helpers
who are happy to confirm the bugs as quickly as you phone them in.
Truly the poorest presentation of any product I have had
the misfortune of using.
___
Duane Franklet
englhq@jetson.uh.edu