[comp.databases] Creating C routines for Paradox 3.5?

kji@vpnet.chi.il.us (Ken Isacson) (04/10/91)

Does anyone know if you can incorporate C routines into a PAL application?

(And I DON'T mean the C engine for paradox!)

Ken Isacson         Sysop - Board Of Trade BBS  GT 016/001
kji@vpnet.chi.il.us         (815) 753 - 0042

glenn@welch.jhu.edu (Glenn M. Mason) (04/10/91)

In article <1991Apr09.224206.1574@vpnet.chi.il.us> kji@vpnet.chi.il.us (Ken Isacson) writes:

>Does anyone know if you can incorporate C routines into a PAL application?
>
>(And I DON'T mean the C engine for paradox!)

No you can't. There is a company that has developed a PAL compiler that I
believe is now on the market. The product is called Palcom, but I can't
recall the name of the company. This would allow you to link in C functions
with your applications. I recall that there were some limitations with the
compiler such as not supporting calculated fields in reports and possibly
forms and no support for the data entry toolkit. I believe that the compiler
was listed at ~$1500. I'd be willing to bet though that Borland is in the
process of developing a Paradox compiler that would probably be released
with the next version for a mere $100. or less upgrade!-) I think I'll hold
my breath and wait a little while.

Glenn

gribble@ogre.cica.indiana.edu (04/11/91)

While you can't link C routines to PAL (PAL is not compiled only tokenized
in the libraries), you can run C programs from within a script by using
Run--see manual for the details.

* Steve Gribble  (812) 855-9172/7629         gribble@cica.cica.indiana.edu
* Systems Manager, Inst. of Social Research  swg@socmail.soc.indiana.edu
* Dept. of Sociology, Indiana University     gribble@iubacs

dlucy@srs.UUCP (Douglas Lucy) (04/14/91)

In article <1991Apr10.144555.26205@welch.jhu.edu>, glenn@welch.jhu.edu (Glenn M. Mason) writes:
> In article <1991Apr09.224206.1574@vpnet.chi.il.us> kji@vpnet.chi.il.us (Ken Isacson) writes:
> >
> >Does anyone know if you can incorporate C routines into a PAL application?
> >
> >(And I DON'T mean the C engine for paradox!)
>
> No you can't. There is a company that has developed a PAL compiler that I
> believe is now on the market.

There is a demo of this (I *believe* it's the same) in the Borland
Database Forum on Compuserve.

--
: "It's such a fine line between clever..."             :    Doug Lucy :
: "...and stupid."                                      : S&R Software :