[comp.databases] Can Anyone RECOMMEND Royalty-free Sun Database?

spike@cup.portal.com (Dan Spike Swaigen) (04/14/91)

I'm developing an Open Look application for Sun and am looking for a royalty
free relational database to be used in the product. I liked B-Trieve on the
PC platform. Something similar, i.e.: NOT ORACLE, INFORMIX, INGRES, or other
systems which ultimately become the bottleneck of the system.
Thanks. I'll summarize if there's alot of posting.

Dan
spike@cup.portal.com

ajayshah@alhena.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) (04/14/91)

In article <41237@cup.portal.com> spike@cup.portal.com (Dan Spike Swaigen) writes:
>I'm developing an Open Look application for Sun and am looking for a royalty
>free relational database to be used in the product. I liked B-Trieve on the
>PC platform. Something similar, i.e.: NOT ORACLE, INFORMIX, INGRES, or other
>systems which ultimately become the bottleneck of the system.

C-Tree by Faircom fits the bill.  It's cheap, it's C-Source and
no strings attached on applications produced.

It's the cheapest way to do DBMS on a Sun-cluster.  Implementing
an application in (say) Oracle would mean you have to buy the
Oracle runtime license on each workstation.  In a world where a
SLC has a street-price of $4200, the DBMS prices make no sense.

Ajay Shah, (213)734-3930, ajayshah@usc.edu
                             The more things change, the more they stay insane.

chesky@leland.Stanford.EDU (Snehylata Gupta) (04/15/91)

In article <41237@cup.portal.com> spike@cup.portal.com (Dan Spike Swaigen) writes:
>I'm developing an Open Look application for Sun and am looking for a royalty
>free relational database to be used in the product. I liked B-Trieve on the
>PC platform. Something similar, i.e.: NOT ORACLE, INFORMIX, INGRES, or other
>systems which ultimately become the bottleneck of the system.
>Thanks. I'll summarize if there's alot of posting.
>
>Dan
>spike@cup.portal.com

I am not sure of your classifying the named RDBMS's as bottlenecks. I
am now currently working with BTRIEVE and find it very limiting in
it's abilities. INGRES especially if used correctly and if you
do optimize all your queries using QEP and using all the file
structures at your disposal you might change your mind.

Sanjay
chesky@leland.stanford.edu