[comp.databases] Simple database engine for UN*X

kenny@uh.msc.umn.edu (Kenny Goers) (04/13/91)

Fellow human beings,

I've been all over the net looking for a simple database engine
that will run under UN*X (any flavor).  I've found something
called "mbase" (short for Metal Base) that doesn't work for didley.
And I've looked into Postgres, which is MUCH too large for
my needs.  I need source, and even shareware is fine.

Let me define what I see as a database engine.  I need something
of a C library that will just to create, closest match, findnext,
add, etc to (a) file(s), maybe with multiple keys.  It only has to
do string data types.

I'm burned out looking for something of this nature and would
really appreciate ANY help, even negative responses saying
there is no such thing.

Thanks in advance,

kenny.

Kenny Goers   | "To compute... or not to compute... that is the question...
kenny@msc.edu |  To suffer the slings and curcuits of outrageous functions...
              |    or to take up arms against a sea of transistors.
Minnesota     |    or rather transponders...  transcondu... trans... er..
Supercomputer |  Oh to heck with it."
Center, Inc.  |                         - Oliver Wendell Jones, Bloom County.

--                                                                    --
Kenny Goers          Minnesota Supercomputer Center        kenny@msc.edu

ajayshah@alhena.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) (04/13/91)

In article <3879@uc.msc.umn.edu> kenny@uh.msc.umn.edu (Kenny Goers) writes:
>Let me define what I see as a database engine.  I need something
>of a C library that will just to create, closest match, findnext,
>add, etc to (a) file(s), maybe with multiple keys.  It only has to
>do string data types.

C-Tree by Faircom fits the bill.  And it's cheap as hell.
(Programmer's Shop has nice prices on Faircom stuff).

	-ans.

Ajay Shah, (213)734-3930, ajayshah@usc.edu
                             The more things change, the more they stay insane.

jasonh@bilby.cs.uwa.oz.au (Jason Hewson) (04/15/91)

In <3879@uc.msc.umn.edu> kenny@uh.msc.umn.edu (Kenny Goers) writes:

>Fellow human beings,

>I've been all over the net looking for a simple database engine
>that will run under UN*X (any flavor).  I've found something
>called "mbase" (short for Metal Base) that doesn't work for didley.
>And I've looked into Postgres, which is MUCH too large for
>my needs.  I need source, and even shareware is fine.

>Let me define what I see as a database engine.  I need something
>of a C library that will just to create, closest match, findnext,
>add, etc to (a) file(s), maybe with multiple keys.  It only has to
>do string data types.

Well Kenny, how about :

	cbase(tm)

This is a shareware product with source which is a collection of C
libraries. It is a "complete C database file management library,
providing indexed and sequential access on multiple keys".

It compiles under UNIX or MSDOS

Available from :

Citadel
241 East Eleventh Street
Brookville, IN 47012
317-647-4720
BBS 317-647-2403

If somehow you can't get a copy then email me.

Hope it helps, it seems pretty good and I will probably be using it.

Jason Hewson		jasonh@bilby.cs.uwa.oz.au
Computer Science Dept.
University of Western Australia