[comp.databases] Windows 3 DBMS programs

dhartung@chinet.chi.il.us (Dan Hartung) (04/16/91)

cs173scn@sdcc5.ucsd.edu (Albert Yeh) writes:
>Is there any data base manager available for window(3.0)? If yes,
>which one would you recommend?  THanks.

You are in luck ... 'DBMS' magazine just had a special section on these.
It shoudl be in bookstores right now.

For those who want a quickie summary, here's what they list:

Access SQL
C-tree Plus Data Manager
C-Trieve/Windows
Code Base 4.2 (dBase-compatible)
DataEase for Windows
dbVista III
dBFast for Windows (the first dBase-compat for Win 2, so it's been around)
Dossier for Windows (dBase)
FormBase 1.1
Integra SQL for Windows
Object/1
ObjectView
Omnis 5
Oracle Card (Hypercard-like front end for linking to Oracle)
Paradox Engine 2.0
SQLWindows
SQLfile for Windows
Superbase 2
Superbase 4
XDB-Windows Developer Toolkit

There are almost as many report writers and similar tools available, including
several front ends for minicomputer-based networks.

These listed range from end-user tools to highly specialized programmers'
libraries.

Off the top of my head I have heard very good things about FormBase; SuperBase
is designed for including graphic images; DataEase is probably the best end-
user database in the list; dbFast is the best of the dBase clones for Windows.
Almost all of the others would require a great deal of programming.

--
Daniel A. Hartung           |   WOMEN IN JAIL SEEK BOYFRIENDS AND HUSBANDS
dhartung@chinet.chi.il.us   |   They're young and attractive.  They're sorry