[comp.databases] Summary: 4GL and X-windows

nelson@wrl.epi.com (Ken Nelson) (04/16/91)

Thanks to all who replied.

 Here is a short summary:

     Empress - a 4GL targeted at technical users
     JAM/dbi - an X interface onto many different database systems.
     Ingres 4GL Windows - 4GL and Openlook
     Oracle	- has X support
     Progress   - has X mouse and button support, but no GUI yet.
		  Scheduled for next release.
     Recital	- works in xterm, same code will yield X GUI in
		  next release.
     Dbase IV   - SunView only right now, but next release will
		  support OpenLook.

     In general most of the database products will at least run
     in an X window.  Most also have serious plans to provide
     better X support.

Complete Summary follows:

>>> database:1

Date:    Thu, 04 Apr 91 08:45:13 -0600
From:    uunet!DRD.Com!mark (Mark Lawrence)
Subject: Re: I need a 4GL's and X windows

In article <871@epiwrl.UUCP> you write:
>Hi:
>
> We are looking for a database package that offers a 4GL with
> support for X windows.  So far my search has led me to Ingres,
> Progress (kind of), and Accell.  I am interested in any
> pointers you have for these programs, or leads to other
> 4GL's that support X.  OpenLook would be nice but I will
> settle for any GUI that talks X (Motif or OpenLook).
>
>Thanks for any pointers.  If I get any information I will
>summarize to this newsgroup.

Empress and JAM/dbi

--
mark@drd.com
mark@jnoc.go.jp

>>> database:2

Date:    Thu, 04 Apr 91 12:24:26 -0600
From:    uunet!serc.3m.com!us267384 (Steven M. Anastasi)

nelson@wrl.epi.com (Ken Nelson):
> Hi:
>
>  We are looking for a database package that offers a 4GL with
>  support for X windows.  So far my search has led me to Ingres,
>  Progress (kind of), and Accell.  I am interested in any
>  pointers you have for these programs, or leads to other
>  4GL's that support X.  OpenLook would be nice but I will
>  settle for any GUI that talks X (Motif or OpenLook).

Windows/4GL (Ingres) does create X windows.  It does not create any
kind of windows definition code (Motif, X, etc.) for you to compile.  You
are limited to the graphical objects that Ingres provides.  It can
respond to X events sent from external applications.
It stores all graphical objects in the database (slow retrieval) and
and 4GL script is stores broken into lots of rows (slow retrieval).

It does provide a decent development environment, supports check-in/
check-out, and is fairly stable - although there are a few bugs that
really must be fixed to be a good product (a maintenance release is
forthcoming).

If you have any specific questions, re-e-mail

Steve Anastasi
3M

>>> database:3

Date:    Thu, 04 Apr 91 12:42:24 -0600
From:    Greg Higgins <uunet!mp.cs.niu.edu!higgins>

Progress is great for applications development but you must wait for
V7 (sometime later this year?) for full X support. If you can live
with the partial support they use in V6, I heartily recommend it.

>>> database:4

Date:    Thu, 04 Apr 91 11:41:59 -0800
From:    uunet!sybase.com!ram (Richard McIntosh)

Sybase also supports X.  Have a conversation with your local sales rep
or sales technical consultant.  Hope you find what you want.

Richard

>>> database:5

Date:    Sun, 07 Apr 91 11:07:48 -0400
From:    uunet!thinc.COM!ethan (Ethan.Lish@THINC.COM)
Subject: PROGRESS under X

uunet!epiwrl!wrl.epi.com!nelson writes:

>  We are looking for a database package that offers a 4GL with
>  support for X windows.  So far my search has led me to Ingres,
>  Progress (kind of), and Accell.  I am interested in any
>  pointers you have for these programs, or leads to other
>  4GL's that support X.  OpenLook would be nice but I will
>  settle for any GUI that talks X (Motif or OpenLook).

Greetings -

		There is a good article on PROGRESS and X windows in the
	March 1991 issue of 'Profiles' Opening windows to the future
	by Mike Pacholec of PROGRESS Software Corp.

		The major points about PROGRESS and X are:

o PROGRESS version 6 applications will run as X clients without modification.

o There is no need to employ a terminal emulator such as xterm.

o All UPDATE and CHOOSE statements take advantage of the mouse.

o PROGRESS frames appear as three-dimensional graphic borders.

o A Standard X window manager can be used to provide management functions

	To get a copy of 'Profiles' call 1-800-Fast-4GL

		Hope it helps,
				\Ethan\

--
     "If everyone swept his own doorstep, the whole world would be clean"
                           A Chinese proverb
Date:    Wed, 10 Apr 91 15:10:00 -0500
From:    "Joseph E. Karolchik" <uunet!ICF.HRB.COM!JEK>
Subject: Database information wanted

Hi!  I'm developing educational courseware, and I'm looking for a good database
package to go with this.  I am currently using a SUN Sparcstation, Unix, C,
OpenWindows 2.0, and Dataviews.  However, portability is a big issue right now.
So, we hope to be able to send at least run-time versions to users who have
Dec stations, HP Appollos ( and maybe PC's, if you listen to my boss).

I need to be able to set up student models and monitor student progress and
performance.  This information will be stored in the database.  Then, I would
like to be able to perform statistical analysis on the data and present this
to a course administrator.  The database needs to be multi-user and networkable
.

Believe it or not, cost is an object too.  We aren't exactly concerned about
an up-front cost.  The major concern is for licensing and distribution.  This
is for international applications of multi-user learning environments.
Therefore, site licensing costs are a major concern.

I would appreciate any recommendations which you could make about databases
that might be worth looking into.

Thanks!

Joseph E. Karolchik
HRB Systems, Inc., Sec 822
PO Box 60, Science Park
State College, PA 16804

jek@hrb.icf.com

| Ken Nelson  (nelson@wrl.epi.com) | No thoughts today, sorry.	     |
| Computer Systems Manager         |				     |
| Entropic Research Laboratory     |				     |
| Washington, D.C.		   |				     |