[comp.databases] Monitor clearing screen properly

jessea@homecare.uucp (Jesse W. Asher) (04/12/91)

I've been trying to use monitor in sql*dba and my screen doesn't seem to
refresh properly.  It comes up and if there was something on the screen
before, those characters remain on the screen.  This is very confusing
and makes the output difficult to read.  Have anyone else had this
problem and is there a way to correct it?

--
      Jesse W. Asher        NIC Handle:  JA268         Phone: (901)386-5061
                       Health Sphere of America Inc.

cooper@beno.CSS.GOV (Dale Cooper) (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr12.163933.21287@homecare.uucp> jessea@homecare.UUCP (Jesse W. Asher) writes:
>I've been trying to use monitor in sql*dba and my screen doesn't seem to
>refresh properly.  It comes up and if there was something on the screen
>before, those characters remain on the screen.  This is very confusing
>and makes the output difficult to read.  Have anyone else had this
>problem and is there a way to correct it?
>
>--
>      Jesse W. Asher        NIC Handle:  JA268         Phone: (901)386-5061
>                       Health Sphere of America Inc.
>	       5125 Elmore Rd., Suite 1, Memphis, TN 38134
>                       UUCP: ...!banana!homecare!jessea`

yeah, yeah I know...somebody already answered the question right?

Just in case...

In the deep dark pages of the _Oracle_for_BLAH-BLAH_ (where BLAH-BLAH is your
system type - UNIX for me) Technical Reference Guide there is a section
dedicated to crt terminal definitions.  Oracle requires keyboard definitions
for it to display the sql*dba monitor screens correctly.  Chances are you
haven't run the cvtcrt and crt programs provided to you for your particular
platform (terminal type).  You may have run the crt.install but the crt.install
will only create crt definitions for your default terminal.  For me, the SUN 4
version of CRT creates crt entries for SUN workstations or command tool terminal
settings.  Since I run XTERM, I had to create my own crt entries and make the
resulting XTERM.crt my default.

The first thing that you need to do is run crt.install if you haven't already
done so.  If you already have then you probably will want to run cvtcrt.  This
program - in simple terms - uses the termcap and terminfo values set for your
particular terminal (your system may be different).  The manual goes into much
more detail and you may want to read up on it yourself.  Anyhow, if you don't
have the manual, the syntax (at least on UNIX boxes...I'm sure it's different
for other platforms so you may need clarification) is:

	prompt> cvtcrt term outputfile

The program will ask you for confirmation for key assignments.  Answer all
the prompts (there are many depending on the products that you have on your
system) and you're through with this step.  The program creates an SQL
script which now needs to be run as SYSTEM so the crt entries can be entered
into the proper CRT tables within the database.

Now you must run the crt program.  This program generates an operating system
level file in $ORACLE_HOME/crt/admin (at least in my version...again yours
may be different) - TERM.crt where TERM is the name of the terminal in question.
The -d flag will make the term definition default.

	prompt> crt term system/change_on_install [-d]

	which creates...

	~oracle/crt/admin/TERM.crt

	or

	~oracle/crt/admin/default.crt

Once you complete these steps, you SHOULD have no problem viewing sql*dba
screens.

Dale Cooper				You learn quickly as a DBA never to
Center for Seismic Studies		say "It's new, it MUST work."
Arlington, VA

[standard disclaimers here]		Dale Hunter is god.