[comp.databases] Public domain dBase routines available?

traynor@bostech.com (Pat Traynor) (03/27/91)

dBase Heavyweights,

Are there any dBase routines in the public domain anywhere.  I looked in a
couple of locations that had database archives, but most of the stuff was
just dBase clones.  I have dBase III+... I would just like to get a few
free programs so that I can copy some of the routines rather than write
my own.

--pat traynor--

pew@cs.brown.edu (Peter E. Wagner) (03/30/91)

In article <9103270101.AA00239@titanic.bostech.com>, traynor@bostech.com (Pat Traynor) writes:

|> dBase Heavyweights,
|>
|> Are there any dBase routines in the public domain anywhere.  I looked in a
|> couple of locations that had database archives, but most of the stuff was
|> just dBase clones.  I have dBase III+... I would just like to get a few
|> free programs so that I can copy some of the routines rather than write
|> my own.
|>
|> --pat traynor--

CompuServe has a forum dedicated to Fox Software users.  Within is a
library of many useful routines and applications.  The Foxbase library
will be almost completely compatible with dBase III+.  I am familiar
with this particular forum, but I am pretty sure that AT has its own
as well.  I'm not sure whether AT has a CompuServe forum or their own
BB.  AT should be able to tell you where to find their forum (using
huge amounts of willpower here to resist making easy joke).

    Peter

Peter E. Wagner                                 pew@cs.brown.edu
Department Computer Science
Brown University

tomr@dbase.A-T.COM (Tom Rombouts) (04/06/91)

In article <9103270101.AA00239@titanic.bostech.com> traynor@bostech.com (Pat Traynor) writes:

>dBase Heavyweights,
>
>Are there any dBase routines in the public domain anywhere.  I looked in a
>couple of locations that had database archives, but most of the stuff was
>just dBase clones.  I have dBase III+... I would just like to get a few
>free programs so that I can copy some of the routines rather than write
>my own.

Have you tried the Ashton-Tate BBS?  It is free, active 24hrs a day, and
has (I think) about eight lines on each speed.  There is a fair amount
of dBASE III+ and dBASE IV source code there, as well as public domain
and shareware items that have _nothing_ to do with database products.
(We provide this as a public service.)  Anyone can log onto the board -
you do not need to be a registered user or have any sort of support
contract.

Here are the two numbers:

  1200 Baud:  (213) 538-6196
  2400 Baud:  (213) 324-2188

Also, if you are really into it, consider ordering the EMS
library for dBASE.  It is $99 for about 80 disks with more source
of all sorts than you could get through in a year.  They can
be contacted at (301) 924-3594.  Essentially, it is a mass of
stuff that is pulled down from BBSes.  I personally endorse this
highly, but I'm sure Ashton-Tate, Inc. has no official position on it.

Tom Rombouts  Torrance 'Tater  tomr@ashtate.A-T.com

dlucy@srs.UUCP (Douglas Lucy) (04/14/91)

In article <9103270101.AA00239@titanic.bostech.com> traynor@bostech.com (Pat Traynor) writes:

>dBase Heavyweights,

>Are there any dBase routines in the public domain anywhere.  I looked in a
>couple of locations that had database archives, but most of the stuff was
>just dBase clones.  I have dBase III+... I would just like to get a few
>free programs so that I can copy some of the routines rather than write
>my own.

There is a shareware package called SoftC that gives C programmers
a rich set of library routines to access dBase III+ and dBase IV
data, index and memo files. You should be able to find the package
on any large DOS bbs, or Compuswerve/GENIE.

--
: "It's such a fine line between clever..."             :    Doug Lucy :
: "...and stupid."                                      : S&R Software :

mar7363@saturn.lerc.nasa.gov (Michael A. Rife (Boeing Comp. Svcs.)) (04/17/91)

From a previous posting:

>There is a shareware package called SoftC that gives C programmers
>a rich set of library routines to access dBase III+ and dBase IV
>data, index and memo files. You should be able to find the package
>on any large DOS bbs, or Compuswerve/GENIE.

SIMTEL has SoftC in its DBASE directory.  It also has other Dbase code.

|  Michael A. Rife                    | Email:   MAR7363@SATURN.LERC.NASA.GOV  |
|  Boeing Computer Support Services   | Email:   MAR7363@LIMS02.LERC.NASA.GOV  |
|  Space Station Freedom Project      |                                        |
|  NASA Lewis Research Center         | Phone:   216-433-5938                  |
|  Cleveland, Ohio                    |                                        |