[comp.databases] For Oracle/SQL EXPERTS: learning curve for Oracle/SQL

jimmy@cs.UAlberta.CA (Jimmy the X-man) (04/12/91)

Hi folks,

How long does it take to learn Oracle/SQL to become reasonably
productive ? (As an example, it took me about a year to become
proficient in X windows.) Any recommended methods for expediting
the learning process for Oracle/SQL ?

Thanks,
Jimmy
Internet: jimmy@cs.UAlberta.CA
uucp:     jimmy@alberta.uucp
uunet:    ...!uunet!alberta!jimmy

Disclaimer: All of the above is fiction; no responsibility for the
existence of planet earth is assumed (let alone any opinions
expressed).

jean@beno.CSS.GOV (Jean Anderson) (04/17/91)

In <1991Apr11.174945.6524@cs.UAlberta.CA>, Jimmy the X-man writes:
> How long does it take to learn Oracle/SQL to become reasonably
> productive ? (As an example, it took me about a year to become
> proficient in X windows.) Any recommended methods for expediting
> the learning process for Oracle/SQL ?

What do you mean by reasonably "proficient" and "productive"?

    1.	Are you talking about just SQL*Plus (the interactive query interface)?
    2.	Or do you mean Embedded SQL (C, FORTRAN)?
    3.	Or, being an X-man, do you intend to interface ORACLE to X?
    4.	How complex is the database and the querying task? If you know nothing
	about relational databases, that will add significant time to the
	learning curve.

But seriously, if all you want to do is satisfy the first objective and do
the types of queries available in ORACLE's scott/tiger tutorial, it doesn't
take long (hours/days).  I've seen some of our new scientists learn enough to
be truly dangerous in a matter of mere hours.  :-) But SQL*Plus also has a
lot of advanced capabilities that take a while to catch onto (user defined
variables, error handling for scripts, etc.).

As for expediting the learning process, avoid reinventing the wheel:

    o	Scope out all the available ORACLE resources.  Besides the manuals,
	login into the Belmont bulletin board (I guess they call it OLS for
	"On Line System") and look at SQL*Plus articles on "Common Questions
	and Answers".  They also have articles on advanced topics that I whip
	out occasionally when a user asks me a question that's over my head
	("Hey, Jean, how do you calculate how long it took for 30/60/90% of
	the data to arrive?").

    o	Scope out the available IOUG (International ORACLE User's Group)
	resources.  The IOUG is not part of ORACLE Corp (somebody correct me
	if I'm wrong).  Their Journals and Conference Proceedings are packed
	with information.  The Fall 1990 Journal lists an Alberta contact:

		Roberta Kowalishin
		Regional Chairperson
		IOUG Representative
		[1](403)258-5717

    o	Check out your local ORACLE User Group.  Do they publish a newsletter?
	Do they collect other local User Group newsletters? The Calgary contact
	on my list is:

		Sandy Debolt
		Secretary, Calgary Oracle Users Group
		P.O. Box 6768, Station 'D'
		Alberta
		Canada T2P 2E6

    o	I think ORACLE also has something on CompuServe.

| Jean Anderson, DBA                            email:  jean@seismo.css.gov  |
| SAIC Geophysics Division, Mailstop 12            or:  jean@esosun.css.gov  |
| 10210 Campus Point Drive                      phone:  (619)458-2727        |
| San Diego, CA  92121                            fax:  (619)458-4993        |
|                Any opinions are mine, not my employer's.                   |