[comp.databases] Sybase timestamps -- are they really?

gerardt@backnine.Corp.Sun.COM (Gerard Tynen) (04/13/91)

Does anyone know if the timestamp datatype in Sybase denotes
an actual time and date?

I have tried converting timestamps as follows (in isql):

	select convert(datetime, timestamp) from [table with timestamp]

and got a date in the year 2067 AD.

This may be another example of the Sybase engineers taking a
martini break just before making a major design decision, but
one ought to expect the timestamp to denote exactly the time a
row was updated. Si? No?

tim@ohday.sybase.com (Tim Wood) (04/18/91)

In article <3838@jethro.Corp.Sun.COM> gerardt@backnine.Corp.Sun.COM (Gerard Tynen) writes:

>Does anyone know if the timestamp datatype in Sybase denotes
>an actual time and date?

Yes.  And, no.  That is, it doesn't.  Think of it more as an event counter.

>I have tried converting timestamps as follows (in isql):
>
>	select convert(datetime, timestamp) from [table with timestamp]
>

>and got a date in the year 2067 AD.

Just goes to show how futuristic we are. :->

>This may be another example of the Sybase engineers taking a
>martini break just before making a major design decision,

Nonsense.  We never partake of anything stronger than Pernod.

>but one ought to expect the timestamp to denote exactly the time a
>row was updated. Si? No?

Quisas, with a limited view of the concept of time.  Events can be
associated with time but not with a calendar.

HTH,
-TW

Sybase, Inc. / 6475 Christie Ave. / Emeryville, CA / 94608	  415-596-3500
WORK:tim@sybase.com     {pacbell,pyramid,sun,{uunet,ucbvax}!mtxinu}!sybase!tim
PLAY:axolotl!tim@toad.com		       {sun,uunet}!hoptoad!axolotl!tim
Dis claim er dat claim, what's da difference?  I'm da one doin da talkin' hea.